Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MW_MN
Reel Rookie

Roku TV won't show new OTA channels when connected to internet

Jump to solution

Some new digital sub-channels showed up in my local TV market, so I re-scanned for antenna channels. The TV was able to find the channels (the number of channels found went up), but they don't show up in the channel guide. However, if the TV is disconnected from my WiFi network, then the channels show up. There were three different sub-channel changes, and they have had differing results:

One frequency was changed from virtual 5.5 to virtual 5.8, and became ION+. This new channel shows up, but the channel guide will not show any program data until I select the channel.

A new frequency was assigned to 5.5. Initially, this new channel showed up, but with the same label as 5.8, whose frequency had previously been assigned to 5.5. Again, only when I turned on the channel did the information change. More recently, this channel disappeared completely.

A new channel was added, as virtual channel 5.6. This channel will not show up at all when the TV is connected to the internet.

All three channels show up as expected when the TV is not connected to the internet.

I have tried:

Selecting "start over" to forget all channels and scan again

A complete factory reset of the TV

Restarting from the system menu

Changing my ZIP code in settings

Hiding streaming channels

Adding the new channels to my favorites while disconnected from the internet

Leaving the TV on, tuned to the new 5.6 channel, when the internet was restarted. This one had the most interesting result, as the TV immediately un-tuned from this channel and removed it from the lineup.

I cannot get the new channels to show up properly unless I disconnect from my network. Currently, only one of the three shows up in my lineup, and it usually doesn't have correct program information.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MW_MN
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TV won't show new OTA channels when connected to internet

Jump to solution

If anybody at Roku wants to pass on my situation to software development, I may have "solved" the issue. By solved, I mean that I have identified the actual problem and what developers need to do in order to create a solution. I'm a former software engineer, and I'm relatively certain that I am on the right path, and also relatively certain that you have a way to create tickets for developers to fix things.

I changed my zip code to a city (Atlanta) that has a channel on 5.6 (Fox Weather). Then, I re-scanned my channels. The channel shows up, albeit with the incorrect channel name and schedule. When I view it, it displays the correct information for both the channel name and the program that is currently on. However, I am unable to see upcoming programs.

When I switch back to my zip code and re-scan, the channel disappears again (both channels mentioned above).

The problem seems to be that Roku's channel lineup database has no record of these channels in my viewing area. So when it tries to put together the guide, it has no information and leaves them off. When disconnected from the internet, the TV relies on the actual signal coming over the air for the information, and works properly. Even for channels that exist in my area but not Atlanta, they still show up because they did match a database entry and the TV recognizes them.

Two things need to happen on Roku's end to fix this problem:

1. Keep up-to-date channel lists. When a new digital sub-channel becomes available (this one happens to be MeTV Toons - available in many major markets, and the cause of similar problems reported on these forums), you need to get this added to your databases as soon as possible. There are websites out there (Rabbit Ears is one, I think) that keep track of these things, so it shouldn't be hard on your end.
  2. Default to showing a channel regardless of whether it appears in your channel database. It is poor design for a TV to omit a channel just because it wasn't expected. The correct behavior for the channel lineup would be
    1. At minimum - allow the user to tune in to the station, with the channel and programming listed as "No information available."
    2. Ideally - take the information from the OTA signal to create the guide information for this channel. That's what happens when I have no network connection.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MW_MN
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

If anybody at Roku wants to pass on my situation to software development, I may have "solved" the issue. By solved, I mean that I have identified the actual problem and what developers need to do in order to create a solution. I'm a former software engineer, and I'm relatively certain that I am on the right path, and also relatively certain that you have a way to create tickets for developers to fix things.

I changed my zip code to a city (Atlanta) that has a channel on 5.6 (Fox Weather). Then, I re-scanned my channels. The channel shows up, albeit with the incorrect channel name and schedule. When I view it, it displays the correct information for both the channel name and the program that is currently on. However, I am unable to see upcoming programs.

When I switch back to my zip code and re-scan, the channel disappears again (both channels mentioned above).

The problem seems to be that Roku's channel lineup database has no record of these channels in my viewing area. So when it tries to put together the guide, it has no information and leaves them off. When disconnected from the internet, the TV relies on the actual signal coming over the air for the information, and works properly. Even for channels that exist in my area but not Atlanta, they still show up because they did match a database entry and the TV recognizes them.

Two things need to happen on Roku's end to fix this problem:

1. Keep up-to-date channel lists. When a new digital sub-channel becomes available (this one happens to be MeTV Toons - available in many major markets, and the cause of similar problems reported on these forums), you need to get this added to your databases as soon as possible. There are websites out there (Rabbit Ears is one, I think) that keep track of these things, so it shouldn't be hard on your end.
  2. Default to showing a channel regardless of whether it appears in your channel database. It is poor design for a TV to omit a channel just because it wasn't expected. The correct behavior for the channel lineup would be
    1. At minimum - allow the user to tune in to the station, with the channel and programming listed as "No information available."
    2. Ideally - take the information from the OTA signal to create the guide information for this channel. That's what happens when I have no network connection.

Cyn63

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem. Thanks for the workaround! It's inconvenient, but at least it works! I was able to get this OTA channel on my Samsung and my Sony tvs so I knew it wasn't because I couldn't get this channel. Very frustrating! My main TV in my living room is a roku, and this is where I'd like to pick up the channel when my grandkids come. I have tried everything, but nothing worked until I read your post! Thanks so much!!! Hopefully, roku figures out their issues soon! I was ready to get rid of my TV and get another brand, but this will work for now. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.