Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cksunshine
Binge Watcher

Starz app won't launch On Roku Streambar

Jump to solution

I just purchased a Roku Streambar and the it will not launch the Starz app. I have a subscription to Starz (not connected to any other service).  I have checked for software updates and deinstalled and reinstalled the app.  It will not launch.  It simply goes back to the Roku homepage.

To be clear, this is not a Starz subscription through Roku or any other service.  This is the Starz channel.  The channel has never successfully launched on the Streambar.  I have another tv with a Roku Premier stick and the Starz channel does successfully launch on that device.  Both the Streambar and the Premier have the same Starz version and build (Version 4.5 and Build 25).

I have reached out to Starz and they say it is not a problem on their end, because the version and build is the same on both the Streambar and the Premier, and it is successful on Premier, but not Streambar.

I have been able to access all other apps without issues.  I'm having an issue with is the Starz app on the Streambar, no other channels, only on the Streambar.  When I try to go into the app it tries and then goes back to the home screen, no errors are given.  I have tried the "remove the it and restart and then add back", and have the same issue.  I have verified that the software is up to date on the Streambar.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cksunshine
Binge Watcher

Re: Starz app won't launch On Roku Streambar

Jump to solution

Well, I decided to try one more time before I installed the new Amazon Firestick that I just bought...and now Starz launches properly from the Streambar.  I checked everything and it looks like the only thing that changed was the build of the Starz channel.  It is now Version 4.5 BUILD 27.

Problem solved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @cksunshine,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you are seeing with your Roku device when playing content on the Starz channel and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far. 

Each channel on the Roku platform is built and maintained by the channel provider themselves. If you encounter an issue within a channel that isn't occurring in every other channel on your device, you'll want to contact the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support.

Please keep us posted if you need further assistance or clarification.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cksunshine
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have contacted both Starz and Roku.  Starz does not feel that it is an issue on their end, especially since their channel (same version and build) works on my Roku Premier stick, but not on my Streambar.

Roku support has asked for a Issue Tracker number and are pursuing the issue with back-end team (software and hardware engineers) and to get it resolved.  I will update this when I get updates from them, but I'm hoping that someone in the community can also provide help if they have had the same issue.

0 Kudos
cksunshine
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have not heard any updates from Roku support regarding my issue. I’m hoping that someone here has had the same issue and can help me solve it.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @cksunshine,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

We acknowledge the issue you are facing, and we certainly want to help. For us to further assist you, kindly provide the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
• Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel? (This can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
• Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
• Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing.

With more detailed information, we'll be able to assist you further.

Keep us posted. Looking forward to your response!

Sending you the best,

Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cksunshine
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have contacted Roku through Support chat and spent quite a bit of time with them, going through all the troubleshooting steps, etc.  I was assigned a case number.  I also have the tracker number:  Issue ID 15-208-358.  

But I can repeat it here for you:

Model: 9102R - Roku Streambar

Serial number YL0000394415

Software version 12.0.0 build 4185-95

The only channel affected is Starz.  The Version and build for that channel is Version 4.5 build 25

Tracker id: see above

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1) go to the Starz standalone channel.  Click and the channel attempts to launch.  The icon spins and then takes me back to the Roku home page.

I have gone through all the trouble shooting steps multiple times, both on my own and with the Chat support person.  This includes doing a factory reset.

My tv has two HDMI ports.  The streambar is plugged into the first HDMI port.  For comparison sake, on the same TV, I plugged my Roku Streaming Stick into the second HDMI port.  It is a 3800X Rodu Streaming Stick with a software version of 12.0.0 build 4184-55.  When I click the Starz channel (same version and build as on the Streambar) the channel successfully launches (from the Roku stick).  I tried plugging the Streambar into the second HDMI port and the channel will not launch.

I also have a Roku Premiere 3920X and it also has the most current software (12.0.0 build 4184-91) and it successfully launches the Starz channel (again, same version and build).  The account for all the Roku devices is the same.

I have eliminated all the variables.  The only difference is that the problem is the Starz channel will not launch from the new Roku Streambar.  It has never successfully launched from that device,

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @cksunshine,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Please be aware that I have passed along your information and concerns to the appropriate Roku team. Once more information is available, we will make sure to provide an update.

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience, and if there's anything else we can assist you with in the future, please don't hesitate to let us know!

Thanks,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cksunshine
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Come on Roku, I thought you were better than this.  I've heard NOTHING.

I have now gone so far as to buy another Roku Streambar to see if the problem with launching the Starz channel was limited to just my device.  NOPE.  It won't work on the new Streambar either.

Looks like I will be returning everything and switch to a different streaming device and soundbar.

0 Kudos
cksunshine
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I had also been contributing to a thread where another person was having the exact same issue with a Roku Express - with no solution.  Now that thread is archived.  What's the deal?  Is Roku trying to sweep this issue under the rug?

Please Roku, help us out here!

0 Kudos
cksunshine
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well, I decided to try one more time before I installed the new Amazon Firestick that I just bought...and now Starz launches properly from the Streambar.  I checked everything and it looks like the only thing that changed was the build of the Starz channel.  It is now Version 4.5 BUILD 27.

Problem solved.

0 Kudos