Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poppy2
Streaming Star

Sound issues Directv app with Roku

Jump to solution

I have, as have many other users. The fact is that DirecTV won't address the problem. You're company should force them to do so. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
joebios01
Streaming Star

Re: Sound issues Directv app with Roku

Jump to solution

Hello @ororoorslkajd. Here is an occurrence with Volume Leveling set to OFF.

DirecTV audio corruption - Volume Leveling OFF 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

[RESOLVED] Sound issues Directv app with Roku

Jump to solution

Hi Community users!

We believe this issue has now been resolved.

We would like to invite you to check whether you are still encountering any audio problems with Direct TV.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
57 REPLIES 57
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Poppy2

Thank you for the inquiry!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Do you encounter any error messages? Are all the other streaming channels operating normally? How long has the issue existed and what troubleshooting done to resolve the issue?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you better.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
JOINT2JOINT
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We have stated many times that this issue only occurs with the Direct TV Stream app on Roku. The sound will be fine for a while, then all of a sudden will become distorted, or will get really low or loud. Hitting rewind will clear it up, yet having to do this 4 or 5 times an hour is a pain.

0 Kudos
JOINT2JOINT
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This issue has persisted for me since subscribing to Direct TV Stream about a year ago.

0 Kudos
Ddots5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

**Let me start by saying that I am 99% sure this is Direct TV and not Roku.  However Direct TV doesn't seem to give a **bleep** about their issues so if there's any backchannel process for Roku to get error messages to them we would all appreciate that!**   This consistently happens on my Roku ultra when watching Tonight Show.  The volume will suddenly drop or raise and be garbled.  The fix is to simply change to the next available station inside the DTV app and change back.  This NEVER happens on any other streaming service. I have no idea why between 10:30 and 11:30 central time this glitch occurs but it happens so often we keep the remote close to fix it. 

There are other failures particular to DTV such as poor audio quality during action sequences where I can go to another app on my Roku and watch the exact same sequence without issue.  I believe there are serious errors inside of DTV's compression algorithms that get expressed when played on Roku.

0 Kudos
Wkillham
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This issue has been going on since the AT&T days.  I have 5 Roku's, 2 of which are built in to TV's.  All of them do it.  I have one Firestick and have no problem with it.  The only common denominators are Roku and Directstream.

MyUserNameHere
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

DirectTV on Roku and *only* DirectTV on Roku continues to have issues. Latest issue is the audio lags the video to the point its annoying that the words spoken don't match the actor's lips in real time. Its not my Wi-Fi - this only happens with DirectTV. Its not my Internet -  this only happens with DirectTV. Its not my Roku - this only happens with DirectTV.

Maybe if we all rate the DirectTV Stream app 1 star with audio quality as reason it will get DirectTV Stream to pay attention.

1. Highlight the app in Roku and press the *
  2. Select 1 Star and when prompted for a reason select "Poor video or audio quality".

Because I have read that this is not an issue on AppleTV with DirectTV, I'm this close to ditching the Roku and replacing it with AppleTV. Our hand is forced with using DirectTV to get live Yankees game - we are in market.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts regarding channel playback on the Directv channel on Roku devices. We can completely understand how frustrating not being able to watching a channel without issues can be. 

Please be aware that for more information about that channel's functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
manojbadshah
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried all these steps and also sorted the Internet issue from home Wifi. It is almost recovered and hoping for long run. 

0 Kudos
joebios01
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

Thanks for responding. Can ROKU (not DIRECTV) answer these questions fully:

1. Problem does NOT occur on all ROKU models. Specifically problem does not occur on ROKU 2 4210 and apparently on newer ROKU models 381x/48xx (based on the Realtek SOC). This would imply that some ROKUs can process the DIRECTV audio stream without persistent glitches. How is this NOT a ROKU issue?

2. If there are SPECIFIC issues with the DIRECTV streamer then ROKU should be able to provide/publish the SPECIFIC TECHNICAL DETAILS of the issue. ROKU/DIRECTV users should not be placed in a FREE FIRE ZONE between the companies. Worse, is the appearance that the companies appear to be colluding on this issue. How is this NOT a ROKU issue?

3. ROKU is well aware that the streaming/wifi environment is unpredictable. That said, ROKU players should be able to recover from TRANSIENT stream errors WITHOUT LATCHING UP requiring user intervetion. How is this NOT a ROKU issue?

BOTTOM LINE: ROKU needs to support their products and resolve their issues with DIRECTV.

Tags (3)