Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FixMacs
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra hunting for a correct graphic screen presentation

IMG_4485.jpgDuring startup, the Samsung TV connected to a Roku Ultra has started hunting for screen resolutions. This problem did not happen prior to about a month ago. During startup, an image of a severely pixelated Roku screensaver appears for a few seconds, then the screen goes dark, then another pixelated image appears and this happens repeatedly, three or four times, then the TV screen displays the correct image resolution.  We didn't change any setting a month ago. Thanks in advance. Roku Ultra (4660, 4661, 4662 series) 

I think I posted this in the wrong forum. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra hunting for a screen resolution

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @FixMacs!

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we'd be more than happy to look closely at the pixelated display you've observed on your screen. 

In this case, have you tried plugging in your Roku Ultra to a different TV to see if this will make any difference? If not, we highly suggest it. Also, do you have any other Roku devices available? If so, does it also happen to your other devices? 

In the meantime, we suggest unplugging your Roku Ultra for about 60 seconds and replugging it again to see if the issue will still occur.

We'll be anticipating your response as we are eager to find you the best resolution possible. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
FixMacs
Channel Surfer

I have shutdown everything. TV, Roku, Router and rebooted. This condition is new, not having experienced it prior to about a month ago. I have no other TV and no other Roku devices. I am unable to perform tests swapping out such devices. This Roku-TV system works okay after several minutes of the screen going blank, coming back on with the pixelated image, going blank again, repeating three or four times, then the screen comes up with the correct image as expected and then I can use the Roku-TV as expected. This process happens during every time I start up the Roku. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for the added information, @FixMacs.

In this case, we will coordinate this with the relevant team for further investigation and determine the cause of this. 

With this being said, we'd like to request for the following details:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and current OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

We'll be looking forward to your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
FixMacs
Channel Surfer

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 10.49.47 PM.jpgOS 12.5.5

Build 4174

See image for more information.Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 9.44.38 PM.jpg

I cannot reproduce the problem after the units are warmed up and operated for an hour or so. At this moment, I cannot reproduce the problem. This suggests to me that a chip inside the Roku is failing. 

Okay, this is later. I got a pixelated screen and a Tracking ID but not sure that the ID corresponds to the pixelated screen because I could not get an ID until the normal screen image appeared. Here it is. I will try to get another ID tomorrow after the Roku has cooled down. --- Okay, got a second Tracker ID I think I got the problem tagged this time. See second image.Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 11.35.39 PM.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We appreciate the follow-up, @FixMacs.

Rest assured, we have collected and forwarded the following details to the appropriate Roku team for review and further investigation. We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime. Should an update be available for this concern, we'll promptly let this thread know.

Let us know if you have further inquiries regarding this.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
FixMacs
Channel Surfer

A month has transpired since we last heard from Roku. The problem persists. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@FixMacs,

We're sorry for the late response about this and for the delay in our solution.

If you haven't tried changing or using a different HDMI cable to see if that reproduces the same issue, then we'd suggest so.

Or let us know if this has been used and no avail.

Keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FixMacs
Channel Surfer

I performed the HDMI test. The cable is not the problem. I believe we have enough evidence to support the conclusion that a chip component inside the Roku is failing. The screen gets scrambled only upon a cold startup. The screen problem does not occur when the Roku Ultra has been up and running, then a restart doesn't repeat the screen scrambling. I am asking for a replacement Roku Ultra. I will gladly send this Roku unit back to Roku after receiving a replacement. 

0 Kudos
FixMacs
Channel Surfer

Silence from Roku Community, and I receive an intimidating email from Roku telling me about some kind of arbitration ruling or something. Thanks a lot. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.