Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ohallord
Channel Surfer

Roku Express 4K+ 11.5.0 Build 4312-CR Video Freezes but Audio works

I have seen this post and it says it is fixed in 11.5 but I am having the same issue with 11.5 

It was working fine for a while and now it freezes on several streaming apps in a matter of seconds but the audio and sub titles still work.  But the video doesn't. 

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express 4K+ 11.5.0 Build 4312-CR Video Freezes but Audio works

Hello @ohallord

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ohallord
Channel Surfer

I power it via the provided USB power brick.  I never trust the USB ports on the back of the tv's for the reason you speak of.

I have recycled the power several times via the app, and via pulling the cord, if that helps nothing helps.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ohallord,

Thanks for the quick response.

We would like to know how to identify and resolve any playback issues. Have you tried to perform a manual update on your Roku device to see if you are still experiencing the issue you are reporting?

Instructions to manually update your software:

1. Navigate to Settings
  2. Select System
  3. Select System update
  4. Select Check now

For more information about how to check for a manual update, visit our Support page here: How to update the software on your Roku TV or Roku streaming player | Official Roku Support

Performing a manual update should resolve the issue you are experiencing, however, if the issue is still unresolved, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
ohallord
Channel Surfer

Yes I do that a couple a times a day to hopefully check for the latest update.  In the title of the post I put the build number of what version I have.  

I would love to be on a beta channel if that is possible.  

0 Kudos
ohallord
Channel Surfer

Just tried it again.

Still at the same version of main app. 11.5 Build 4312

Went back into one of the streaming apps and the video froze within about 2 seconds.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@ohallord

Thanks for the update.

Since you are experiencing this issue on a regular basis across multiple streaming channels:

If we have confirmed that there are no issues with your network, we may proceed to reset your Roku player as a final step. Please be advised that resetting your Roku will revert it to its default settings and it may be necessary to re-establish the connection and sign in to your channel subscriptions. 

For reference, here's How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device.

This should resolve the issue you are experiencing, however, if the issue is still unresolved, please reply back along with the serial number of your Roku device and we will be able to assist you further.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
ohallord
Channel Surfer

I have business class wifi at my house and constantly check the CoS for it so I know it is not that.  

My concern for resetting it is the bug will come back.  I am sure it will temporarily fix the issue for a given time frame but as time goes on it will continue.  I believe this is a bug somewhere in the code.  As there was a previous thread with the same issue that version 11.5 was suppose to fix it.  But it appears that it has not fixed it, at least in my case.

I will however reset it and let you know.  Again my guess is that It will relieve my pain and suffering with the device for a day, a week, a few weeks,  but I am sure it comes back at some point.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ohallord
Channel Surfer

Some additional context.

On some apps it happens pretty quickly.

Other apps it happens when it goes to commercial break. 

It is pretty random when it happens.

0 Kudos
ohallord
Channel Surfer

Well a factory reset did not fix it

Which surprises me a bit as I would have thought it would have cleared some things up.  

0 Kudos