Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedSiegfried
Channel Surfer

Pluto TV app, not signed in, can't sign out

Jump to solution

I had an existing TCL Roku TV for over a year now and no issues.  I purchased a second TCL Roku TV last weekend and everything is working great on it except for the Pluto TV app.  When I start the app it says Welcome back and that I'm signed in, but I never provided my credentials.  And I'm clearly not signed in because my preferences and my favorites are not there.  When i go to account settings to sign out, it says an error has occurred and please try again later, then the playback on the app hangs and I have to restart the app.  App does work, but I can't sign in because it thinks I'm already signed in and I'm not.

Of course I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app, power cycling the TV, etc. but no change. 

I also tried signing out of my other TV on the Pluto app and guess what?  I was able to sign out but now the app says I'm signed in and I can't sign in or out - same as the new TV!  Since this is happening on two different devices in the same house, it makes me think it's an app issue.  I've already submitted a ticket to Pluto TV support and I'm waiting to hear back from them but unfortunately all I've gotten from them so far is an explanation that signing in is not supported in the UK, and I had to then give a lengthy explanation about how I'm not in the UK and the response didn't address the actual issue I was having.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Pluto TV app, not signed in, can't sign out

Jump to solution

Hi @saw4846,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you flagging us about this issue with Pluto TV and for the troubleshooting effort.

If this case is not resolved with basic troubleshooting, then we'll need backup from the channel support team. Channel account authentication is directly managed by the channel provider themselves.

You can contact them here: Contact Support.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to further assist you.

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RedSiegfried
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Good news!  Looks like Pluto fixed it.  They didn't update the app, but now I can sign out of "Citizen" and sign into my real account.  Most likely they fixed something with authentication on the back end.  If anyone else is still having issues, give it a try - sign out and you should be able to successfully sign out and sign in with your real account.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
RedSiegfried
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Also further info, on my PC in the same house and on a phone and tablet I can sign into the Pluto TV app and everything works normally.  I was wondering if it was having issues because all these devices are on the same public IP address, but it's only the Pluto TV app on my Roku TVs that isn't working - the Pluto TV app on IPhone and IPad work normally and so does viewing through the website on Windows.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @RedSiegfried,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with the Pluto TV. We're happy to assist you further. As part of our last troubleshooting steps, you may try to factory reset your Roku TV by following the steps below.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Advanced System Settings.
  5. Select factory reset.
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions.

A factory reset clears the majority of data from your Roku device and restores it to a factory default configuration. Specifically, the process will erase your personal preferences. Unlink your device from your Roku account. Reset all settings and return your device to a state ready for initial setup.

We hope this helps, and please let us know how it works.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                      John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@RedSiegfried 

After removing the channel, did you restart** your Roku to clear its memory cache BEFORE reinstalling the channel? Without the restart you may not get a clean reinstall.

Depending on your Roku model you'll find the "System restart" option under either "Settings > System > Power" or if you don't have the Power option, under "Settings > System". If you don't have sufficient control to use the menus, or if it is just more convenient, you can also restart by pulling the power plug for a short while, then plugging it back in.

**On a Roku TV with "Fast TV Start" enabled, turning the TV off/on only puts you in/out of a low power standby state, it does NOT give you a complete restart. Use the methods above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
RedSiegfried
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

IIRC, I did do a full hard power off restart between uninstalling and reinstalling for the reasons you mentioned, but I can't recall for sure so I will definitely try that again.  I strongly suspect this is an app issue though since it started happening simultaneously on two different devices with the same Pluto TV app when I was signed out of them.  On the new one I never got a chance to sign in at all, on the old one the problem started when I ran a test on it and signed out and was never able to sign in or back out again.  (It says I'm signed in but I never provided my credentials and am not seeing my own settings, and can't sign out to try sigining in again).

0 Kudos
RedSiegfried
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'll pass on doing a full reset of both devices but I may try it out just on the new device since I haven't heavily configured that device yet so there's not as much time lost setting it up again if it doesn't fix the problem.  I'll post my results here when I get a chance to try it.

0 Kudos
RedSiegfried
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Did a full factory reset of the TV, no change.  Only problems with Pluto TV.  Everything else works normally.

Also tried uninstalling the app, doing a hard power off and back on again, then reinstalling the app - no change, same problem.

At this point I think I'm just waiting on Pluto to update their app.  Hopefully they have a fix I can try but really, I'll probably have to wait until they update the app next time and hope it's fixed.

0 Kudos
saw4846
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem on my Roku streaming stick.. sort of. I bought a new streaming stick and Pluto app started auto signing me in as “citizen” (kind of 1984 creepy) and will not let me sign out.

I deleted Pluto, restarted Roku reinstalled Pluto and same issue. 

I miss the option “report an issue” when I hit asterisk button on the remote. Rarely had to use it but every time I did the issue was fixed in a day or so at most.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @saw4846,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you flagging us about this issue with Pluto TV and for the troubleshooting effort.

If this case is not resolved with basic troubleshooting, then we'll need backup from the channel support team. Channel account authentication is directly managed by the channel provider themselves.

You can contact them here: Contact Support.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to further assist you.

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jamesp0925
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue here for me just all of the sudden logged me in as citizen and will not let me log it out on one of my devices.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.