Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbwksf
Binge Watcher

Audio description on Hulu casuing video to repeat (stuck)

I am attempting to watch Shogun on Hulu.  I am visually impaired so need the audio description.  I also have closed captions turned on since I have trouble reading the subtitles for the Japanese translations (the AD voice reads those)

Episode 1 played fine for about 20 minutes.  Then it started buffering and playing the same 1-2 second snippet over and over and over.   I did all of the standard things: rebooted Roku, rebooted router, removed and reinstalled Hulu, verified all of the latest software on Roku (Utra) and Hulu, etc, etc. Frustrating.

Later (after cooling off) I started up Hulu and Shogun again and fast forwarded to the place where the "looping" began.  Still happened.  So I turned *off* audio description (left closed captioning on).  At that point the show continued just fine.  (I have not tried the combo of audio description on with closed captions turned off). 

As usual it is not clear whether this is a Roku issue, a Hulu application issue, a Shogun issue or what.  (BTW - this behavior also happened with The Bear a good while ago which led me to cancel Hulu - I did not try turning AD then).

I really need both features, especially audio description.   I can try other tests if helpful.  But, please, please get this fixed.

Bob Warren

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
rbwksf
Binge Watcher

Re: Audio description on Hulu casuing video to repeat (stuck)

Bob Warren again:  I restarted Shogun and got the point where the video "loops" if audio description is on (along with closed captions).  I tried turning AD on and closed captions off.  No luck.  Major looping (over and over at same point).  If I then turn off AD, the video picks up and plays normally (but without the needed audio description).  Shogun is very tough to deal with with poor light sesitivity (many scenes are basically just black to me).

I hope thisw can be fixed soon.

0 Kudos
rbwksf
Binge Watcher

Follow up: I manged to get in a chat session with a real person at Hulu.  After much standard power cycle this/that, I asked to have my subscription changed to the "no ads" version.  The looping issue goes away - video plays normally with audio description (and closed captioning) turned on.  So it appears that when the audio description track is interrupted for the ad, things go wrong.

I can afford the extra $10/month for "no ads" Hulu but many of my low vision/blind friends would not be able to do so.  I hope Roku and/or Hulu can get this issue fixed so that people can use the Hulu subscription with ads along with audio description.

Bob Warren

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @rbwksf

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

Thank you for sharing this information with us. We're sorry to hear that you've had trouble with Hulu's audio description and closed captioning. To resolve this issue, we recommend that you continue to work with Hulu's support team. It's important to note that most channels and apps on Roku are managed by the channel provider, including their app's built, design, and content. The channel provider can resolve any issues with their channel with updates on their app.

We hope for your understanding regarding this matter.

Best wishes,
Ksh

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rbwksf
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the reply.  I have always wondered who was responsible for the apps on the Roku platform.

I urged the Hulu support person to open  a case.  The problem is quite reproducible (at least with Roku Ultra at latest code, Hulu at latest code, and Shogun at 32 minutes) with audio descriiption on and with a Hulu subscription with ads.

I can afford the extra $10/month for ad free Hulu but many people who reqlly need audio description may not be able to.  So, I hope this can be fixed.  Can Roku support check with Hulu support in any way?

Thanks,

Bob Warren

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for getting back to us and for the added information, @rbwksf!

In this case, it will be highly effective if you directly reach out to Hulu's customer support and visit their official Support website to raise your concern for faster resolution and clarifications. 

It might be possible that an update should be made on their end as they are the ones who maintain their channel on the Roku streaming platform. 

We hope you get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos