Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vachon321
Streaming Star

Re: I get Showtime via Verizon FIOS. What happens after 12/14?

THX. I bet it's more like an hour! I will call that number though. There are many customers who subscribe to Showtime via their cable provider. ROKU can be slow roll-out apps for those (it took them a while to provide the MAX app for subscribers such as myself). 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Content creators create their own apps on Roku.  Those apps have to abide with Roku’s terms, which I think involves some ad or revenue sharing, at least for channels that actually make money.  I believe Max was late on Roku as a negotiating tactic because HBO/Max and Roku didn’t originally agree on terms.

On the other hand, Showtime Anytime says they are just flat-out shutting down, across all streaming platforms. So, it doesn’t appear that there is any dispute with Roku or any other platform. My guess is that some executive decided that maintaining streaming apps on around 9 different platforms wasn’t worth the revenue that Showtime Anytime added.

A couple of years ago one cable channel started their own streaming service and within weeks they were bought and the streaming was shut down because the new CEO had different beliefs about streaming.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Vachon321
Streaming Star

MY question remains the same: Will Paramount+ provide an app to ROKU for people who subscribe to Showtime via their cable providers? Unlike MAX, which added content from different networks, but didn't absorb an entire network, Paramount+ has been a separate, and distinct entity, with it's own line-up of programs (both new & old). Paramount+ has absorbed the whole of SHOWTIME, which complicates things for those people who have subscriptions for one but not both.   

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I don’t see much ambiguity in their statements, so I’d say the answer to your question is: No.  But if they get enough calls, maybe they will reconsider. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
FrankDuVal

it isn't just Vachon. I also pay for Showtime through my cable TV provider. I'm not paying double just to stream Showtime. 

I'm investigating "casting" from a tablet to my Roku TV, since I can get Showtime on tablets, computers, etc, just not the ROKU TV!

So when does the now annoying Showtime app on my Roku TV go away? I can not seem to delete it myself.

0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

From seeing what HBO did with Max after removing HBO Go, I'm thinking that after Showtime’s linear channel rebrands to Paramount Plus with Showtime on January 8th on all providers, which includes cable/sat/etc., the website will most likely allow you to log in through your provider as Showtime Anytime did. It would make little sense to me for them to call the linear channel Paramount Plus with Showtime and not allow you to then log into their website using your provider credentials. So just be patient as they transition.

This is what is shown now on the Paramount Plus help website,

"Can I sign in with my TV provider to stream Paramount+?

You can’t stream Paramount+ using your TV provider credentials."

https://help.paramountplus.com/s/article/PD-Can-I-sign-in-with-my-TV-provider-to-stream-Paramount

However, after using Google, I found a deep link that shows this as (potential) proof of this change on Paramount Plus, but this might be from when they originally did this before deleting this option (but why keep it unless they're planning on changing it back once the transition occurs?).

"How do I sign into Paramount+ via a TV provider?

On the Paramount+ website:

1. Click "Sign In With A Partner" on the registration page.
  2. Select your TV service provider.
  3. Sign in with your TV provider using your account username and password."

https://support.paramountplus.com/s/article/PI-How-do-I-sign-into-my-device-via-a-TV-provider?langua...

So, check back by going to paramountplus.com on or after January 8th to see if you're then able to log in through your TV provider. (They might add this sooner, so you may want to check this daily from this point on.)

If this isn't the case, you'll have to choose: if you DVR Showtime to watch your programing, then keep your linear channel subscription through your provider. If you prefer VOD (video on demand), then cancel the provider subscription and sign up with Paramount Plus with Showtime. You can also just cancel Showtime if this is too aggravating for you, or contact your provider and demand that they give you the option of using the Paramount Plus with Showtime website, else threaten to cancel Showtime.

Notes:

1) The Paramount Plus website doesn’t have DVR capabilities on their live channels.

2) You don't have the additional Showtime channels through Paramount Plus’s website, just East and West live Feeds. So, no Showtime 2, etc. (I really hope that Paramount adds these additional Showtime channels to their website, including "The Movie Channel/XTRA" and "Flix".)

3) Not everything that is on the live channels of Showtime is on VOD due to streaming rights, such as certain movies and first-run episodes, as you have to wait until the next day to stream the show.

4) @FrankDuVal To delete Showtime from Roku, select the channel, tap the "star" key on your remote, and scroll to "Remove App."

5) @FrankDuVal You should be able to watch your cable TV provider (which includes Showtime through them) through your Roku by adding their channel to Roku (select "Streaming Store" from the Roku menu, select "search," and either type in your provider's name or go to the "Popular Channels" category on the right of the search box and scroll through there. If you can't find your cable TV provider on your Roku device, didn't they provide you with their own Cable/Streaming TV box? If you use your Roku because your provider doesn't offer you a way to watch their content -- including Showtime on your TV, or you don't want to pay to rent their box, then perhaps it's time for you to cut the cord and sign up with a streaming TV service like Hulu + Live TV, Youtube TV, DirecTV stream, or etc., which will allow you to watch live TV including linear Showtime on your TV through your Roku without having to cast anything from your smart device. Just make certain if you do this just to cancel the TV package because you'll still need your provider for internet service, and also make certain that you're not bundled because you could be paying more for your other services without the TV package (but it might end up costing you the same since the streaming services are usually cheaper than cable TV). Most of these services also include VOD content with their channels and DVR service. 

Vachon321
Streaming Star

Sadly, I can no longer get Showtime on my laptop, and I assume that will also hold true for apps on my my iPad. I think we are out of luck until the companies involved decide what to do. My cable provider doesn't offer Paramount+. And, since Showtime no longer exists as a separate entity except as a "cable channel," I think for the foreseeable future we'll be plum out of luck, or be forced to subscribe separately to Paramount+ (IMHO--I have zero interest in their content; only SHOWTIME's and I do not see why I should pay for content I do not want). 

0 Kudos
Vachon321
Streaming Star

I did see January 8 somewhere in something I read. I'll see if ROKU has a revised app then. Here's to hoping!

0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

@Vachon321 You should check to see if your provider has an app you can use to watch Showtime as well as everything else through them on your laptop and iPad. If they don't and you want that option, unless you have a fabulous bundle with your internet and phone service, perhaps you should consider cutting the cord (with your TV service since you want to keep your internet and phone service) and going with a streaming provider (see my prior post for examples) in which you can watch live channel content on all devices. Or you may just want to wait until this rebranding nonsense with the channel formerly known as Showtime is over, in which you may then be able to use your credentials to log into the Paramaount Plus with Showtime website before making a drastic change.

But for around the same fee (or less) that you're paying monthly to your provider for television (unless you have a fabulous bundle), wouldn't you want the option to be able to stream your live TV from any device that you want instead of relying on third-party apps like Showtime Anytime that end up abandoning you without any help from your provider? Perhaps you should call your provider and demand that they give you this option to be able to watch TV content from your devices, or else threaten to cancel your TV package because there are so many other options out there that can give you what you want for the same price or less. 

0 Kudos
Vachon321
Streaming Star

They do not.

0 Kudos