Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Not Enough Space with YouTube and Apple TV Not Launching

Jump to solution

@John1958 wrote:

So are you implying that an app written to work on roku is specific to each device then? The app for the ultra is different for the app for the 3800, the 3700 or the express and so on, then? If not then your point is flawed as the apps in question in this thread work on some roku devices and not on others...a random roku device failure.

Sometimes, yes - both NetFlix and YT/YTTV can/do use Roku model-specific versions/builds - see previous post.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@John1958 wrote:

Exactly. roku need to fix this issue as I said so, it is not an app developers issue.

Exactly wrong (saying so doesnt make it true) - its the app developer's issue:  Google in this case - again, they are the entity that codes the app on all the platforms (or subplatforms) - they code for different models/model ranges, they control the model-specific build releases, etc etc.

Just as Roku has (at times) model-specific builds, limited releases, and staggered rollouts for its RokuOS firmware, Google does the same thing with the YT/YTTV apps (and NetFlix does it with NetFlix app).

Welcome to software development and distribution circa 2021 - enjoy the ride, and check your target before shooting.

0 Kudos
John1958
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I am not in any way disagreeing with the facts. I am disagreeing with how you are applying illogical interpretations to fit your reality. You are fixated on referring to other platforms and comparison to how each platform has a different code written for it. Nowhere has it been stated that the community is confused by this pratctice nor does this help in any way to resolve the posters issues. You are comparing apples to oranges and clouding things with non helpful specs. You are also fixated on Youtube and Google whereas so many posters here have referred to other apps experiencing the issue.

As I said before, I posted facts on steps that I took to resolve any issues that I was having in the hope of helping others. You appear to be arguing just for the sake of arguing and not actually posting any helpful processes to aid the community.

No need for me to waste any more time responding to your pontifications, I am going for a swim!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@John1958 

Ill take that as a concession that Google/NetFlix do in fact code Roku model-specific builds and are in fact responsible for their apps on all platforms - including Roku.

The GCCWGTV is a good choice as part of a multiplatform streaming strategy, and Google codes both the platform (Android TV) and the apps (YT/YTTV), so you should have an interesting time blaming Google's Android TV for Google's YT/YTTV app issues...let us know how that goes.

0 Kudos
JimmyGee
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Roku is the one that holds the contracts with the app developers.  We bought Roku units based on Roku’s assurance that they would run the apps correctly.  Roku needs to work with the developers and make sure that they do.  You are correct in your assumptions - enjoy your swim!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JimmyGee wrote:

Roku is the one that holds the contracts with the app developers. 

No, they don't. They hold contracts with the providers. The providers either develop their apps in-house or contract to outside developers. Roku does not directly control anything about the development of the channels for other providers. Roku enforces certain things within the apps, but they do not control how those developers meet the requirements. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
JimmyGee
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Providers/app developers, whatever.  We are talking about the same thing.  Of course Roku does not control how the requirements are met.  Roku’s job is to make sure the requirements are met.  Stop letting them off the hook. 

0 Kudos
gofys

Re: Roku Not Enough Space

Jump to solution

Removing and adding channels does not work.  For me it appears to be the software upgrade to 10.0.0 build 4209-51.  I have another Roku with software 9.4.0 build 4200-51 and it works perfectly.  All this reset, drop channels, add channel back is nonsense, one build works and the other doesn't, simple.  The check modem message is nonsense too, same modem, one works and the other doesn't, swapped Roku is just a few seconds, the new build doesn't work.  You can ask me to stand on my head and flap my arms around while humming a show tune, but that isn't going to enable a bad software update and build to start working.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Not Enough Space

Jump to solution

Hello @gofys @grannym1

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Do you get an error message when you try to access the channels installed on your Roku device? If you're receiving the error 'Can't run channel', visit this thread or this link for updates.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
rhampton0010
Channel Surfer

Re: Not enough space, please delete one or more channels

Jump to solution

Danny, there was one thread that you closed that had 6 pages of comments.  The last thing you said was to delete vudu, netflix, and a couple of others.  That was in March of this year ('21).  I just started having the problem.  I have deleted several channels, unplugged everything, downloaded updates, factory resets, cleared cache, and nothing seems to work.  Some people reported temporary success with some of these aforementioned hacks but nothing worked in the long term.  2 people posted that they found a permanent fix.  Step 1 was to throw the Roku int the trash.  Step 2 was to buy a firestick. Many people have been reporting this issue on several treads for over a year now.  If you close threads where people are trying to discuss the issue and problem solve it (in my opinion) looks like you and Roku are trying to silence the complainers.   I like roku.  But I can easily change to firestick.  You, or someone, should at least try to post something new here to fix the problem, or report any progress.  

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.