Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DFA1
Reel Rookie

History Channel Is not free!

For the longest time we watched History Channel free streaming.  We watch Skinwalker ranch and others the week after the main showing. Now it shows a lock key on it and says must have a subscription, I think that is so wrong since steaming is FREE and watched it for years. Fix this 

5 REPLIES 5
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: History Channel Is not free!

The History channel app is a TV Everywhere app. Full access is linked to having a matching cable/satellite/streaming TV subscription. Did you once have cable/satellite TV and had it linked? Those links eventually expire.

This has nothing to do with Roku. It's the provider limited access to those who pay. They may also have offered limited access without a subscription. With all the corporate belt tightening going on, they may be reducing what is available for free.

DFA1
Reel Rookie

No I do not have cable or satellite. When the shows play live it will be lock but a week later it was unlocked.

I have had this for over 3 years with Ruko it only changed at beginning after the 3rd episode this year!

Ruko says download History channel for FREE streaming in HD. 

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @DFA1,

Thank you for this post!

Please be advised that thousands of channels are available on Roku that can be installed. You can install almost any channel for free but must be authorized to use it. Several providers offer a free trial, but it still requires creating a subscription with them and a payment method. Some channels are only available if you have a TV provider. That provider could be cable, satellite, or one of several online providers. But those all require a subscription as well.

Roku is a platform that holds several channels and content; in this case, you'll want to contact the channel provider's support directly to inquire further about this concern. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel providers themselves. To learn more, you can refer to this support article: Why is an app no longer available on my Roku streaming device?

For further assistance or inquiries, kindly let us know.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@DFA1-

Roku does not charge you to download and install the History channel app.

Roku does not charge you to use the History channel app.

History themselves require you to have a TV Provider account in order to view the content on the History channel app.

If History has changed its policy and no longer unlocks on-demand programs a week after they played live, that's up to History, not Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Kat56
Reel Rookie

I found out after getting rid of xfinity,  few good channels are free, you'll pay monthly if you want the good ones, history, a&e, Hallmark,  ovation,  local news, fox news, news nation,  so I just watch free ones,as fast internet costs me enough! 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.