Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grendel
Channel Surfer

Haystack News Channel Not Working

I've tried all the steps of uninstalling and reinstalling Haystack News and restarting the Roku box but nothing works. When Haystack News is highlighted in the channel menu, and I hit the star button and then hit update, it will continually update those channels every time and tell me they're updated. I go back to the channel hit the start button and it does the same thing. Every time I start Haystack News I end up having to restart my Roku box because it won't play and eventually it crashes and restarts the Roku box. This has been going on for weeks. It affects the other channels as well so that then none of them work and I have to restart the Roku box. This only happens when I try to open Haystack News. There's something faulty with that channel. Otherwise why when I hit the star button when it's highlighted in the menu does it tell me it's updating the channels every single time?  3/21/24- I don't know how many times I have to tell Roku that it's the channel haystack news that's the problem. When I tried to use Haystack News, it never finishes loading and then it affects the other channels so I have to restart my Roku box because the same intermittent sound on Haystack News starts to happen on the other channels as well if I first go to Haystack News. I don't go to that channel then the rest of the channels work fine. I did the hard reset a number of times where I unplugged the Roku box for 10 minutes. If the channel ever does work it only lasts for a couple of days and then it goes back to doing the same thing. Now suddenly when I tried to use the channel yesterday, I believe I was on version 2.8 and now I'm back down to 2.7

Labels (1)
16 REPLIES 16
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Haystack News Channel Not Working

Hi @Grendel,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Please keep us posted, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Grendel
Channel Surfer

All those steps in the reply did nothing. As of today, every time I try to go to Haystack News, the Roku box shuts down and starts over again. And then the Haystack News Channel still doesn't work. I wish someone would listen to me because there's something wrong with that particular channel. Uninstalling reinstalling none of that does anything. Every time I highlight that channel, and hit the little asterik button, It always says channels updating. Every time. I can update the channels, leave Haystack News highlighted, hit the asterik button again and it will again update the channels.  Every...single...time.

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Grendel,

Thanks for the post,

We appreciate you for reporting the issue with Haystack News and for attempting to troubleshoot the problem. We're happy to help.

• What Roku device are you using?
  • Does the issue occur on only this channel, multiple channels, or all channels?

You may want to manually check for an update. Follow the instructions below to manually check for software and app updates.

1. Press Home  on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Software update
  5. Select Check Now to manually check for updates

If there is new software available or there are updates for your apps, then your Roku device will download and install them automatically and once completed, your device will reboot.

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Grendel
Channel Surfer

Come on I did all that stuff already. Multiple times. If I know about the little button to press while the channel is highlighted to look for updates for that channel, you must know that I of course already know about the settings and update and check now and all that stuff. Of course I've done that. None of it makes any difference. The problem is the channel. That is the only channel where I press the button when it's highlighted to update the software and it does it every time. I can highlight Haystack News, press the * button and click check for updates and it will say updating channel. Soon as it's done I stay right there on the Haystack Channel, press the button again, and it tells me that it's updating it again- every single time. I did all that other stuff multiple times and have been forever, manually checking for updates. ITIS THE CHANNEL, HAYSTACK NEWS THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Grendel, what version is currently installed?  I just installed it and I have version 2.7 build 9.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Jpb108

Same problem I am having with attempting to launch Haystack. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jpb108, @Grendel,

Welcome, and thanks for joining us here in the Roku Community!

We see that you're seeing a playback issue when accessing the Haystack Channel. We're here to help.

I did try to access the app on our end, but we don't see any issues launching it. We have the same version of the app as @renojim.

Could you share with us the current version of the app? This can be found by highlighting the channel tile, pressing the * sign button, and then you'll see its current version.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Grendel
Channel Surfer

Yes it's the same build, version 2.7 build 9. I just did a hard reboot of my Roku box the other day. Not only does Haystack news not work but it interferes with the other channels. I have to constantly restart my Roku box every time I go to the Haystack News Channel. This just started in the last couple of months. It worked fine for years.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I just noticed I now have version 2.8 build 1.  I couldn't get the previous version or this one to crash.  It does say "'Haystack Local & World News' has been updated" every time I check for updates which seems odd.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos