Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poppy2
Streaming Star

DirecTV Stream sound problems

Getting variable sound problem when using DirecTV Stream channel. Will go from normal to very quiet, or from normal to very loud with extreme muffled static. Has done this since channel was AT&T TV, and problem had never been resolved by either DirecTV Stream or Roku. Has ANYONE been able to resolve this issue? Only interested in posts directly relating to the audio issue. NO POSTS OFF THE TOPIC PLEASE!

14 REPLIES 14
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: DirecTV Stream sound problems

@Poppy2 

You didnt mention your model # or firmware version (Settings/System/About)

FYI, this issue can/does impact/affect any app, but especially those with ads.

If you arent concerned with multichannel/5.1 output from the DirecTV app (or from any app), you can try enabling Volume Leveling:  During playback press Options (*)/Sound Settings/Volume Leveling/Leveling or Options (*)/Volume mode/Leveling

To repeat, you'll lose 5.1 output but may gain some volume consistency.

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

@UserOfStreamers  That’s actually not what he’s speaking of. The AT&T TV/ DirecTV Stream channel has huge audio issues. The channel will all of sudden go very then so soft you cannot hear it. At times it will be garbled and full of static. It’s been this way for a very long time. Unfortunately when AT&T sold off AT&T TV to DirecTV the problem seems to be forgotten about. This has nothing to do with commercial volumes and other Valium is going up-and-down. This is actually very extreme and very annoying. But DirecTV  doesn’t seem to want to address the issue

UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Z06 

I'm well aware of the longstanding audio issues with the DirecTV app on Roku, and what he actually is speaking is specifically large volume changes while using the app and watching content (read his post:  "Getting variable sound problem when using DirecTV Stream channel. Will go from normal to very quiet, or from normal to very loud with extreme muffled static.")

This may be apparently confusing/unknown to you, but Volume modes apply to ALL audio output when enabled, not just commercials/ads, and not just while watching one show, or using one app - all output.

This shifting volume issue is the very reason that the Volume Leveling option exists to address.

Again, large volume changes can/do happen for ALL apps, especially those that have ad breaks, and especially those with inserted ads (from Roku).

This is not to suggest that enabling Volume Leveling (or other modes) will address other/all audio issues (like static) with the DirecTV app or any other app, or that there arent issues with Roku's audio infrastructure that may be contributing, but they may address the volume differential issues, hence its worth attempting to see if it can address the issue.

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

@UserOfStreamers  I am extremely Versed and well aware of volume leveling. I always haven’t enabled but this is a problem that volume leveling cannot fix. I don’t think you’re aware of how extreme it is you’re not talking up a little down a little you can actually be listening to TV very loud that the sound completely goes away then it comes back all static it goes back-and-forth and back-and-forth. Even with volume leveling enabled the issues still continue this has nothing to do with volume leveling. You’re trying to come up with a fix for something you have never heard yourself. Volume leveling works great across all channels. But this is much more than any volume leveling control could fix. If you don’t use the DirecTV stream and never heard what the noise is then you have no idea what it’s like. It goes all the way low to the point where you cannot hear it and then it jumps all the way up extremely high blasting your ears out then it comes back all static as heck. It goes from one extreme to the other

Z06
Roku Guru

0 Kudos
Poppy2
Streaming Star

The Volume Leveling does NOT resolve this problem. The other poster is correct. The volume levels are largely adjusted unexpectedly and go next to silent at one moment, and extremely loud with static the next. I have tried Volume Leveling and it does not correct the problem. But thank you for the suggestion.

rajiih
Reel Rookie

I had audio problems on Directv Stream using the original Roku Streaming Stick+ Model #3810R.  The remote failed on that Roku so I replaced it with the upgraded Roku Streaming Stick 4K  #3820R and the audio issues have not recurred with the new Roku.  I suggest an upgrade is in order if using the Ultra or model #3810R, both I understand have the audio problems.  There was no audio issue when I used an old Roku Premiere (circa 2017) in the interim.  

0 Kudos
rajiih
Reel Rookie

I had audio problems on Directv Stream using the original Roku Streaming Stick+ Model #3810R.  The remote failed on that Roku so I replaced it with the upgraded Roku Streaming Stick 4K  #3820R and the audio issues have not recurred with the new Roku.  I suggest an upgrade is in order if using the Ultra or model #3810R, both I understand have the audio problems.  There was no audio issue when I used an old Roku Premiere (circa 2017) in the interim.  

Doubling up on this post so more people may catch it.  Sorry if improper forum etiquette. 

0 Kudos
rajiih
Reel Rookie

Buy a improved Roku Streaming Stick 4K.  The original Streaming Stick+ and Ultra have the audio problem, but not the Streaming Stick 4K #3820R.

0 Kudos