Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Techhound
Channel Surfer

Re: DirecTV Stream sound problems

So is the new update 11.5 supposed to fix this issue?

@rajiih wrote:

Buy a improved Roku Streaming Stick 4K.  The original Streaming Stick+ and Ultra have the audio problem, but not the Streaming Stick 4K #3820R.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Techhound 

There is nothing stated or implied in the OS 11.5 release notes (user or developer) which indicates any such app-specific fix for the DirecTV Stream app's volume issues, for older or newer Roku models (Roku doesnt provide a changelog, just abstract summary of new features and/or APIs/API changes).

This is not to suggest that a change/fix in OS 11.5 doesnt/couldnt incidentally/also address the DTVS app's volume issue, just that it is unknown (and unlikely).

The most likely source for an app-specific issue is an update to the app/service itself, and for that you need to address it to the app vendor (DirecTV in this case).

Regardless, as OS 11.5 rolls out to different device models, and assuming the DTVS volume issue still exists, it should be apparent relatively quickly whether it provides any sort of incidental fix.

Finally, it should be noted that the volume issues with the DVTS app have been noticed on several platforms, which indicates a service/server-side technical issue, not a platform specific issue, so the most likely resolution is with app/service updates from DirecTV.

0 Kudos
rajiih
Reel Rookie

I doubt that the Roku update to 11.5 will fix a specific audio problem with Directv stream.  I can say that since buying my Roku streaming stick4k (updated model?)  I've had no further problems with volume in Directv. In fact Roku is offering an updated Roku Express for $30 which they are saying is even faster.  I suspect that it too will fix any audio problems for you.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@rajiih 

The new Express (3960) is based on the same Realtek RTD131x SoC series that all new player models (since the 4800) use, so it will be equivalent in speed to those (4800/4801/4802/3820/3821/3940/3941).

It will however be faster than any previous Express model.

As for the newer models "fixing" an issue with a specific app: its entirely possible (and very likely) that how audio processing is handled at the hardware (SoC) level changed from older to newer SoCs (different SoCs from different manufacturers) and this improves handling in some scenarios (such as for the DirecTV Stream app), so that using a newer model (RTD131x SoC-based) is recommended (until DirecTV Stream fixes the problem, assuming it still hasnt).

0 Kudos
DocZachary

I have experienced this exact problem for a very long time.  I believe the first time I experienced it was during the ROKU updates in the 9 versions.  Over the years, I have purchased an Amazon Firestick, ONN 4K stick, an android based TV, and a ROKU-based TV.  I have only experienced the issue on ROKU products.  I have been in touch with ROKU support multiple times and was given the 'it is a DirecTV stream problem."  After multiple calls back and forth, hearing the same corporate line, I decided to purchase a ROKU Streambar with a 2022 build date.  This means the latest hardware and software.  The sound issue has gone away with this unit.  My old ROKU products, including the ROKU-based TV, STILL have the issue.  

If this problem bothers you as much as it bothered me, you can either buy a competing product or buy ROKU's latest offering.

Good luck.