Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwalla19
Reel Rookie

Difference between Discovery Plus app and Discovery Plus on Roku Channel??

Jump to solution

We recently downloaded the Discovery Plus app because we get 6 months free thru our Verizon account.  However, we searched for a particular show (The Repair Shop) and couldn't find it but we did see it listed as available on the Discovery Plus via The Roku Channel.  We couldn't find a way to log-in using our Discovery Plus app credentials and we couldn't play the show without starting a 7-day free trial which we don't need.  Can we view Discovery Plus via the Roku Channel but somehow use our already established Discovery Plus credentials from the free app?  Why are their different shows on The Roku Channel version vs. the Discovery Plus app available in the Streaming Channels list?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Difference between Discovery Plus app and Discovery Plus on Roku Channel??

Jump to solution

Hi @OddballExtreme,

Saw your post!

We can certainly understand your concern that you want to stream Destroyed in Seconds on Discovery+ standalone. 

Please be noted that existing subscriptions from a Standalone channel are directly from the publisher and cannot be used to view premium content on The Roku Channel.

Discovery+ controls and manages all content within their channel and they can assist with any issues you may be seeing.

You can reach Discovery+ support here: https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-us

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@mwalla19-

Interesting.  I am seeing the same thing.  A search for "the repair shop" on discoveryplus.com comes up empty too.

Normally the complaint seen is just the opposite -- some programs available on the channel's own app are missing when accessing through The Roku Channel.

If I had to guess, I'd say Discovery Plus has removed the program, but Roku's listing for The Roku Channel just hasn't caught up yet.

Flagging this to bring it to the attention of Roku employees @RokuDanny-R, @RokuKariza-D, & @RokuMary-F

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
SDCookie21
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem, did you find a solution? 

LRW

Jump to solution

Funny I searched Fixer Upper and am experiencing the same issue. I already have Discovery+ but need to purchase a plan through Roku now. I’m curious if anyone comes up with an answer as to why you would need to pay again. 

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Why would you want to access Discovery+ through the Roku channel if you have your own subscription already? Just use the regular app. There should be no difference in programming.

0 Kudos
KJ09

Jump to solution

I did a chat with customer service:

I was told that I needed to cancel my Discovery Plus app and to purchase Discovery plus on Roku in order to watch…One or the Other.  
When I asked the cost, I was asked if I wanted to cancel the app and be transferred to billing. I politely replied no, as I have noticed all the differences in programming mentioned here. 

Somehow, this seems…wrong.

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Is it actually available though Roku Channel? It's possible the Roku search is not up to date. 

mwalla19
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You are correct, there should be no difference in programming, and yet, here we are.  I can find The Repair Shop on Discovery thru Roku while it is unavailable thru Discovery+.  Hence my question that started this string.  Why do I have to pay extra for Discovery thru Roku Chanel when I already have a subscription to Discovery + app?

mwalla19
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Agreed.  Why would Roku Channel Discovery be different than the app?  

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Before I'd unsubscribe from a direct Discovery+ account in favor of a Discovery+-through-Roku account in order to get those programs, I'd want some assurance that the search results were correct in showing those programs to be available on Discovery+-through-Roku. 

Perhaps somebody that does have a Discovery+-through-Roku account can check this and report back.

It seems most likely to me that the programs being discussed are NOT available on Discovery+-through-Roku and that the search results are incorrect in saying they are.  Ultimately the information must originate with Discovery+ and Roku is at the mercy of the information provided to them to populate Roku's search results.  I suspect either a) Discovery+ has provided incorrect or outdated information, or b) Roku needs to update the search database at their end.

Flagging this to bring it to the attention of Roku employees @RokuDanny-R, @RokuKariza-D, & @RokuMary-F

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X