Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Credits screen minimizing and going black on streaming services

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. The channel developers have apparently developed different versions of the app for TVs and players, which might make sense depending on the coding. Now if the app on a Sharp Roku TV, or one of the other manufacturers also have the same issue, then it's likely the TV version of the OS simply has differences that they are programming for. 

I can't for the life of me think of any reason Roku would make something like this happen at the OS level, and honestly I believe it's even possible for the OS to do this. Why would they program it any differently than a Roku player, since that would require more work, meaning more cost? There's nothing to gain for them to do it, and many reasons not to. 

I don't know how much influence a company like TCL might have over the Roku OS programming for their hardware. It's possible (I simply don't know) that they actually do some of the coding for their hardware themselves. If it truly is hardware specific, that tends to point at TCL controlling it, not Roku. But again, I have no idea how intertwined Roku and each TV manufacturer might be with the OS coding. I just don't see any reason for Roku to program the OS to do that only on specific hardware. There's simply no value for them to do so.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
aw9182
Streaming Star

@atc98092 

• "Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. The channel developers have apparently developed different versions of the app for TVs and players, which might make sense depending on the coding. Now if the app on a Sharp Roku TV, or one of the other manufacturers also have the same issue, then it's likely the TV version of the OS simply has differences that they are programming for." I would assume this is true however the chance that a large handful of apps all have the exact same issue and behavior makes me think this doesn't have to do with how each particular app developer has programmed their apps on an individual basis but a larger problem that needs to be addressed by Roku.
  •  "I can't for the life of me think of any reason Roku would make something like this happen at the OS level, and honestly I believe it's even possible for the OS to do this. Why would they program it any differently than a Roku player, since that would require more work, meaning more cost? There's nothing to gain for them to do it, and many reasons not to." They would program the Roku OS differently for the TVs because they have additional features that the standalone players do not (ie TV inputs, coax antenna, additional features on the menu, TV picture adjustment settings, etc..). This means that they are using a different codebase, although probably very similar to a standard player, but still different. This makes sense when it is only happening with one particular set of TVs and hence a software bug with that specific version of the OS. 
  • "I don't know how much influence a company like TCL might have over the Roku OS programming for their hardware. It's possible (I simply don't know) that they actually do some of the coding for their hardware themselves. If it truly is hardware specific, that tends to point at TCL controlling it, not Roku. But again, I have no idea how intertwined Roku and each TV manufacturer might be with the OS coding. I just don't see any reason for Roku to program the OS to do that only on specific hardware. There's simply no value for them to do so."  This hadn't been an issue till about the last year and I have had the TV for almost three years now at this point which to me points at a software issue with this specific TCL Roku TV OS build. Maybe the newest OS doesn't play nice with some aspect of the hardware and at that point its either on Roku or TCL to address. The minimized video player does work temporarily if you reboot the TV but only lasts maybe a day before the issue starts back up. That would lead me to believe that it should at least be possible for this to be fixed. 

I'm not looking to start some argument but its just been frustrating to have this be a prolonged issue across many apps and then to just say "well it's on the app developers to fix" when its clearly either a Roku OS issue or a TCL issue. 

0 Kudos
8traxrule
Roku Guru

Again, there needs to be an option on ALL services to simply disable this “feature”-just let the movie play complete from beginning to end without shrinking the screen, overlaying junk or anything else. I don’t use streaming services that do this.

0 Kudos
kenr276
Channel Surfer

Not true it even happens to Roku‘s own advertisement on the TCL Roku TV. When it is a small screen it is black you hear the sound you only see the picture when you go fullscreen.

SPRUNT
Reel Rookie

This happens regardless of app or channel, Roku-provided or not.  I've experienced it with interactive ads when the screen changes size, every app that reduces the screen size during credits, the Peacock app live channels if you let the guide disappear on its own... There are numerous repro scenarios. 

If I use my Xbox apps on the same TV, the issue doesn't happen even though the videos do the same size reductions in the same places. This leads me to believe it's an issue in the video driver for the TV itself since app video is handled differently than input video.  Further, this didn't happen when we first had the TV.  IIRC this started happening a couple years ago after an update.

guskwak
Channel Surfer

For christ sake, Roku. Please fix this issue. This is making me go mad. Watch 20 second ad in the middle of YouTube video, screen minimizes and goes black, click skip, video screen is black, go back to home page and click on video again, forced to watch another 20 s ad, video starts from the beginning, fast forward to where you stopped watching, forced to watch another 20 s ad. I'm about to throw my TV in the trash :'(

For all the unhelpful comments saying that this is not roku's fault: if it's not their fault, just tell us so and point us in the right direction. That's simple. The lack of response is just terrible. 

atc98092

@guskwak wrote:

For all the unhelpful comments saying that this is not roku's fault: if it's not their fault, just tell us so and point us in the right direction. That's simple. The lack of response is just terrible. 

OK, it's not Roku's fault. Google owns YouTube, and they have sole responsibility how the YouTube channel functions on various devices. You can contact Google support for YouTube here.

Dan

0 Kudos
guskwak
Channel Surfer

You are obnoxious. We need this answer from Roku. 

atc98092

Roku will only give you the same answer. They have zero control over the way 3rd party apps work on their devices. Sorry if you don't want to accept that. Have a nice day.

Dan

0 Kudos
SPRUNT
Reel Rookie

The most likely answer is that the industry has moved on and Roku can't or won't update to be compatible.

Regardless, Roku's stance of "it's them, not us" has only served to ensure that I will move on to one of "them" who chooses to remain compatible.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.