Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Psilobite
Roku Guru

ConTV channel closes after launch

Jump to solution

Today I found that the ConTV channel closes after launch. The channel opens, displays a logo, then a throbber, then immediately closes.

I am unable to troubleshoot by removing the channel and re-adding it, as the channel does not have a "Remove app" option when highlighting the channel and pressing "*" on the Roku remote. I was actually quite surprised to discover this; I've never seen that happen with any other Roku channel before.

My ConTV subscription costs me $4.99 per month.

- Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version
Device Model: 4660X - Roku Ultra
Serial Number: YJ00A4777475
Device ID: CK386A777475
Software OS/Version: 12.5.5 Build 4174-46
GC Version: 11.2.23

- Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel
Yes, ConTV, version 4.0 build 23062023

- Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
75-137-311 (Timestamp: 2024-04-05T08:31:10Z)

- Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Add and launch ConTV on a Roku 4660X (2017 Roku Ultra). The channel opens, displays a logo, then a throbber, then immediately closes.

This may be related to the following issue which occurred on May 26, 2023, then later on appeared to be fixed:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/Midnight-Pulp-channel-closes-after-launch/m-p/878339

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Re: ConTV channel closes after launch

Jump to solution

I received the following message from Midnight Pulp support:

"Please note that CONtv has been merged with Midnight Pulp. All CONtv content is now available on midnightpulp.com.

Kindly install the Midnight Pulp app on your Roku to continue enjoying your favourite content. You can do it from here:
https://my.roku.com/account/add/midnightpulp"

I also took note that the ConTV channel has been removed from Amazon as well as the Roku Channel, and contv.com redirects to midnightpulp.com.

Therefore, the standalone ConTV Roku channel/app should be removed, as it is now defunct.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Psilobite,

We are happy to have you here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having playback issues with the ConTV channel. May we know if you're accessing the ConTV from the Roku Channel (TRC) or was this stand-alone? Also, when did you start having this issue?

As an attempt to fix the issue, we would highly recommend the following steps below:

• Remove the channel >> Restart the device (Settings > System > System Restart) >> Add channel.
  • Update the channel by highlighting the app and pressing the star button on your remote.
  • Restart your router.
  • If the issue only occurs with the ConTV channel (stand-alone), kindly contact the channel provider for further assistance.

Additionally, you can refer to this support article on how to resolve a channel playback issue for further information.

Kindly keep us informed on what you find out.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Thanks very much for the reply! 😉

As mentioned in my original post, it is impossible for me to remove the channel, as it is lacking "Remove app" option in the menu after pressing "*". 😕

I am accessing the ConTV standalone channel. I apologize if this wasn't clear in my original post. All channels mentioned are standalone, unless stated otherwise.

I first noticed this issue today. The front end that ConTV uses is also used by Screambox, and also Midnight Pulp. Both of those channels work without issue. I noticed that Screambox also lacks the "Remove app" option from the menu accessed by highlighting the channel and pressing "*" on the remote... if that tells you anything. Midnight Pulp does have the "Remove app" option.

I did restart my router; it had no effect on the issue.

I am unable to contact the provider, as when I attempt to go to contv.com, it redirects to Midnight Pulp. So I have no contact.

Thanks for the linked support article, but this isn't a playback issue as the channel crashes on start, as described in my original post.

The subscription that I have with ConTV is through Roku, so if this issue cannot be resolved, then I will cancel the subscription.

0 Kudos
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I created a ticket on Midnight Pulp's Zendesk regarding this issue. This might be something that only they can fix?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Psilobite,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you providing these details, and we'll be glad to further assist you. Please note that when you are ready to remove a channel, first determine if the channel has a subscription and whether that subscription is billed to your Roku account.

1. Go to our Roku website on your computer or smartphone.
  2. If prompted, sign in to your Roku account.
  3. Select Manage Your Subscriptions.

If the channel you want to remove is listed on this page, the subscription must first be canceled before the channel can be removed from your Roku device. Please note that if a subscription is canceled before the end of the billing cycle, you can continue to access the channel until the current billing cycle ends. Also, channels cannot be removed from the website. Once you are done removing the channel, restarting the system, and re-adding the channel, let us know if it fixed the issue.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I received the following message from Midnight Pulp support:

"Please note that CONtv has been merged with Midnight Pulp. All CONtv content is now available on midnightpulp.com.

Kindly install the Midnight Pulp app on your Roku to continue enjoying your favourite content. You can do it from here:
https://my.roku.com/account/add/midnightpulp"

I also took note that the ConTV channel has been removed from Amazon as well as the Roku Channel, and contv.com redirects to midnightpulp.com.

Therefore, the standalone ConTV Roku channel/app should be removed, as it is now defunct.