Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fkitchen

Can't get HBOMAX to work.

I select HBOMAX from the menu,  the logo screen comes up,  switches to 3 dots spinning for a few seconds and then just a black screen.  It goes no where from there.  I've unplugged the modem,  the Roku device, and removed and re-installed the HBOMAX channel but all had same results...black screen.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Can't get HBOMAX to work.

Hello @Fkitchen

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing HBO Max? That step is crucial when performing troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Bpop

I am having the exact same problem. I have done everything step by step they say to do. I have factory reset and many other attempts also

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Bpop

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us more about your concern? Does the issue only occur on HBO Max or across other channels installed on your Roku device? Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Orangutans

@RokuKariza-D 

I'm also experiencing this. I believe the problem is coming from a recent HBO password change.

Please let me know if you've recently changed your password.

It was working fine, then we changed the password. When we click HboMax app it goes through the HBOMax splash screen and then some dots appear to be loading something briefly before the screen turns black indefinitely. When clicking any button on the remote it makes the regular feedback noise like switching channels. The only buttons that do anything are the home button, which behaves normally and the asterisk button, which displays system details.

Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Roku Model: 3940X Roku Express 4k Connected to internet: true Client Version: 53.20.5 Firmware Version: 12.0.0 (4175)

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hello @Orangutans

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you are seeing with the channel. 

Have you tried to remove the channel and see if it helps? If you haven't tried it yet, you can remove the affected channel and re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. 

We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > System restart.
Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos