Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevieB48
Reel Rookie

Can't Preview in FF or RW for Spectrum

Jump to solution

I have Roku controlling my Spectrum Streaming TV service.  When I try to watch a recorded program, and want to skip through commercials or boring parts of a sporting event, the Fast-Forward shows only a black screen and not shots of the programming.  I don't know where/when to stop.

It there a fix for this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't Preview in FF or RW for Spectrum

Jump to solution

@StevieB48 wrote:

I have two AppleTV devices, and I can easily preview through FF and RW when playing the same programs.

That's interesting.  On a Roku, it's up to the provider to supply those images.  I don't know how the other devices work.  I'm pretty sure I've read in the Roku certification requirements that the trick play scenes (or BIF files) are required, but Roku has a way of letting some channels slide.  There's no setting or anything like that affects them, but you might want to reach out to Spectrum and ask them why they don't provide them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

You can't rew or ff through on-demand programming.

Edmund

0 Kudos
StevieB48
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm not talking about On-Demand programming.  I'm talking about recording Network TV show:  drama; comedy; news; sports.  I want to avoid commercials (or long time-outs in football) by fast-forwarding.  I'm able to fast-forward, but can't see a preview of the scream to alert me when to stop.  I have to guess where to stop.

I have two AppleTV devices, and I can easily preview through FF and RW when playing the same programs.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@StevieB48 wrote:

That's interesting.  On a Roku, it's up to the provider to supply those images.  I don't know how the other devices work.  I'm pretty sure I've read in the Roku certification requirements that the trick play scenes (or BIF files) are required, but Roku has a way of letting some channels slide.  There's no setting or anything like that affects them, but you might want to reach out to Spectrum and ask them why they don't provide them.

0 Kudos
StevieB48
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That's what I thought.  I called Spectrum, but got a huge "HUH" in response.  I guess an up-the-chain moment with them is, once again, in the cards.  If I could charge Spectrum $25/hour for my wasted time with their customer service people, I'd move up two tax brackets ... 

🥴

0 Kudos
Kris920

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue. It is so annoying to fast forward a recording and not be able to see when the commercials are over.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Kris920 wrote:

I'm having the same issue. It is so annoying to fast forward a recording and not be able to see when the commercials are over.

That's something you have to take up with Spectrum. But Roku has released updated guidance to developers, and I believe they are now mandating thumbnails when using trickplay. Of course, those changes won't happen overnight. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
dawn23
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. Has Spectrum fixed this?

0 Kudos
syellen
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue with Spectrum Cloud DVR on Roku 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @syellen

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern? With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos