Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miogpsrocks
Reel Rookie

Can a Roku replace a Cable Box for Comcast? Do you need to have comcast Internet or any internet?

Can a Roku replace a Cable Box for Comcast? Do you need to have comcast Internet or would any internet fast enough work? 

Right now I have ATT Fiber but still have comcast for TV only. 

Would the Roku work to replace my cable box? 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Can a Roku replace a Cable Box for Comcast? Do you need to have comcast Internet or any internet

There’s an app here:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/86ee0b6bbd22c617aadd88216f2381d7/xfinity-stream

However, this Xfinity page does say: “You can’t use the Xfinity Stream app on Roku prior to installation of your Xfinity Internet and Xfinity TV services.”

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
miogpsrocks
Reel Rookie

Re: Can a Roku replace a Cable Box for Comcast? Do you need to have comcast Internet or any internet

I wonder if they just assumed you are using them for internet or if it mandates it. 

Its like you look up a recipe that involves a particular brand. The recipe still works if you put in the ingredients from other brands however they want you to use their own. 

0 Kudos
Julia111
Reel Rookie

If you pay Xfinity for TV, you can download Xfinity Stream on Roku. I did away with my 2nd cable box that way 

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@miogpsrocksWhen you ask if a streaming device can replace a cable box, you need to understand they are NOT one in the same. A cable box provides access to LIVE TV channels; a streaming device can ONLY access streaming channels of which many offer Live TV (YouTube, Peacock, etc). The other replies refer to the Xfinity app which can be installed on a Roku. If you have ATT Fiber, you can purchase the Roku player and gain access to thousands of STREAMING channels of which the premium types require a subscription though there are tons that are free like Tubi, Vudu etc..Hope that helps

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.