Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bontra
Channel Surfer

AMC+ channel content, lack of trailers, missing movie

I have active Amc+ subscription on roku.
The Amc channel on roku says IFC films included.
Because there are no "trailers" for the content here, I browse the IFC channel on youtube to see those.

YouTube channel ifc films has trailer for: Life upside down
Search within amc roku for: Life upside down, no hits.

1. Why does YouTube amc have this movie but roku amc does not?
2. Why doesn't AMC on Roku offer trailers that other stream services with AMC offer?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: AMC+ channel content and lack of trailers

Hi @Bontra 

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, how are you accessing AMC+? Is it through The Roku Channel or the standalone app? Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Bontra
Channel Surfer

As stated above

>The Amc channel on roku

Will Roku be adding shows that are available for the same service on a different provider?

Will Roku be adding trailers that are available for the same service on a different provider?

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Bontra

Thank you for the post!

It's possible that the movie "Life upside down" is not currently available on the AMC+ subscription on Roku, even though it is available on the IFC Films YouTube channel. This could be due to licensing agreements or other factors that limit the content available on different platforms.

The decision to offer trailers or not is likely up to the individual app developers for each platform. It's possible that the AMC app on Roku has not yet implemented a feature to offer trailers, or they may have chosen not to include it for various reasons such as technical limitations or user interface design. However, it's worth noting that different streaming services may have different features and capabilities, so it's not unusual for some to offer more or less than others.

Since the issue is only with the channel alone, this is a good indication that there is likely an issue within that specific channel that will need to be addressed with an update from the channel publisher. Channels on Roku are created and maintained by each channel publisher. In this case, you'll want to reach out to AMC support directly to share your feedback.

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Haylyn

Based on other complaints like this and the dodgy way Roku staff try to avoid a straightforward answer and stumble around with vague references to "licensing", premium channels are stealthily restricting access to content depending on which external provider you happen to sign up through, even though the provider has sold the product/service as if it is exactly the same as the channel's standalone app -- and even though you pay the same amount, or more, than if subscribing directly with the channel!

I tried AMC+ via the Roku Channel for 7 days, then the auto-subscription kicked in at $8.99 per month. When I went to watch a film that was listed by AMC+ as being currently available to steam, it was not listed in the AMC+ Roku Channel app. Finally getting through to Roku support and after many holds, I was told the film was not available "on the AMC+ Roku Channel app" but was available on the "AMC+ app itself." 

What???

Roku sells premium channel subscriptions as if they are the exact same product/service that you would get if going directly to the channel. But this is not true, and neither the channel nor the provider are being clear about it. 

Meanwhile, I cannot sign into the "AMC+ app itself" -- even though I am paying the AMC+ list price of $8.99 per month to Roku -- because my account is with Roku, not directly with AMC+. There is apparently no way to link or transfer the Roku account to AMC+ directly. I wonder, do they expect us to pay both of them?!

This is both insane and, I am beginning to suspect, a deceptive way to make money. If Roku is knowingly marketing its Roku Channel premium apps as the same, i.e. offering the same content, as premium channels' standalone apps, shame on Roku. And you are not above consumer protection law.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Haylyn,

Welcome to the Roku Community!
We understand that you're having a problem with the AMC+ channel. We're happy to help. To be better assisted with your subscription, you can contact our Accounts and Billing team since they are the specialized department to best cater to your inquiry. To contact them, kindly refer to this link here.

If there's anything else that we can do to help you, please let us know.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos