Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobclark1

Outdoor camera base limitations

Jump to solution

I started out with using two of the wireless outdoor cameras each with its own base. After several months without issues I decided to purchase a two pack (two cameras with one base) and add to my system. after a few days, I began to have an issue with one of the new cameras losing connection to the base. This continued to be a problem so I purchased a fourth base station so each camera would have it's own base. Set everything back up and lost two cameras within  a couple of days again.  Moved all bases to where they were within a few feet of the cameras and tried again. Within a few (3-4) days lost two of the cameras again. A week later a third camera that had been stable earlier  dropped out. It should be noted that I can delete the cameras from the base and re-add them and they all start working again but only for a few days. At 71, it is a real pain to have to get on a ladder to re-pair the cameras. I have several indoor cameras that are without issues. Could someone please suggest something to try that might resolve the issue? Am I using too many bases on a system? Is there any restriction to quantity supported? Note that the bases are always connected to the network. It is the connection between the base and the cameras that is causing me problems. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Outdoor camera base limitations

Jump to solution

Greetings from the Roku Community, @Bobclark1!

We understand you are having trouble with your Roku outdoor cameras because they have lost connection to your base station. We're happy to help. Please try the troubleshooting steps below:

1. Make sure the Roku Smart Home app and device firmware are up to date.
  2. Make sure the Roku Outdoor Camera (Battery) is charged.
    • Poor connectivity will cause the battery to drain slightly faster due to attempts to reconnect.
  3. Power cycle the Roku Base Station.
    • Unplug the power cable from your base station, wait 10 seconds, and then plug it back in.
  4. Check the status lights on the base station and the Roku Outdoor Camera (Battery).
    • If either is flashing, then they are trying to connect or pair.
    • The base station light should be solid blue.
    • The Roku Outdoor Camera (Battery) light is only solid blue when viewing the live stream or recording an event. Otherwise, it will be dark because it is in idle mode.
  5. Check the signal strength between the camera and the base station.
    • In the Roku Smart Home app, tap on the paired base station.
    • A full signal is 3 bars. If your signal is only 1 bar, try moving the camera closer to the base station.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Outdoor camera base limitations

Jump to solution

Greetings from the Roku Community, @Bobclark1!

We understand you are having trouble with your Roku outdoor cameras because they have lost connection to your base station. We're happy to help. Please try the troubleshooting steps below:

1. Make sure the Roku Smart Home app and device firmware are up to date.
  2. Make sure the Roku Outdoor Camera (Battery) is charged.
    • Poor connectivity will cause the battery to drain slightly faster due to attempts to reconnect.
  3. Power cycle the Roku Base Station.
    • Unplug the power cable from your base station, wait 10 seconds, and then plug it back in.
  4. Check the status lights on the base station and the Roku Outdoor Camera (Battery).
    • If either is flashing, then they are trying to connect or pair.
    • The base station light should be solid blue.
    • The Roku Outdoor Camera (Battery) light is only solid blue when viewing the live stream or recording an event. Otherwise, it will be dark because it is in idle mode.
  5. Check the signal strength between the camera and the base station.
    • In the Roku Smart Home app, tap on the paired base station.
    • A full signal is 3 bars. If your signal is only 1 bar, try moving the camera closer to the base station.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.