Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brad777
Channel Surfer

Indoor Camera won't scan QR code

I'm trying to reset and reconnect my indoor camera but for some reason I can't get the camera to scan the QR code on my phone.. but I tried to scan it on my mother's phone and it worked just fine.. 

I have a Galaxy Z Flip 5 and she has a iPhone 15 Pro... 

My phone is also brand new with no screen issues at all it's all in MINT condition.. 

Any ideas why I can't get it to hook up to my phone? When I connect with her phone the app on my phone says the camera is offline but it still streams on hers it says it's online and everything is working well.. 

The issue seems to be with ONLY my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5.. when I had it connected to my iPhone before I got this Galaxy phone it was all in working order as well. 

Is there an issue with the Galaxy Z Flip 5 devices? 

And yes I have gone through ALL the trouble shooting. 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Indoor Camera won't scan QR code

I have a first generation Z Flip.  It has been a while since I set up a camera and although I do recall having a little trouble, eventually it worked.  Since the camera is set up now, it's a bit of a moot point.

My phone also works with the app, so I would suspect some other issue.  Have you tried it with your phone connected to Wi-Fi as well as not connected?  It should work both ways, but some people have had a problem when not connected to Wi-Fi.  I haven't had to do it lately, but when the app first came out it seemed like I was constantly having to remove the app and reinstall it because I was getting errors.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Brad777
Channel Surfer

So disconnect WiFi from my phone?

I ask because it'll ask for me to connect to WiFi on the camera before I get the QR code to generate.. I've tried countless times to get it to read the QR code and it just won't... But I try with an iPhone and it does instantly.. 

0 Kudos
renojim

I just meant to test accessing the phone both with and without your phone connected to Wi-Fi.  I thought you were past the part where you need to get the camera to scan the QR code that's displayed on your phone.

0 Kudos
Brad777
Channel Surfer

Oh..

No, that's the part that it won't do. The camera will NOT scan the QR code that is on my phone..

Keeps saying "Please Scan The Code" or something along those lines... Even with the QR code right in front of it... 

0 Kudos
renojim

@Brad777, I'm sorry.  I thought you got past the point of scanning the QR code by using an iPhone.  Like I said, I recall having trouble, but eventually it worked.  Try changing the brightness of your screen as well as turning it in different orientations and different distances from the camera.  I don't think the screen on my phone is any different than yours.  I assume you're not using the exterior screen.  I don't have one like the Z Flip 5 does, although if it's possible, you might want to try it.

0 Kudos
Brad777
Channel Surfer

It wont let me adjust the screen brightness because it says it's being controlled by another app (meaning the Roku app). I've tried every angle and every distance I can.. I've even screen shot the QR code and tried that way and it still wouldn't work... Yet with my mom's iPhone it works instantly.. but I can't keep it that way because it's not her camera or anything she needs at her house.. 

I tried again for about 30 minutes last night as well and nothing... Just a repeat of "Please Scan the code"... Over and over again.

0 Kudos
renojim

I see.  It seems hard to believe it's the phone, but it sounds like you've tried everything.  I don't know how many Z Flip 5s are out there, but I can tell you that I've had my original Z Flip since the week they became available and I have yet to see another one out in the wild.  All I can suggest is to take your mother's phone to your place.

0 Kudos
Limepyro

I also have a flip 5 it's a problem in the app we're it cuts off part of the qr code making it unscannable 

I'm having the exact sand problem with the exact sand phone.  It makes sense the screen is blocking it.  Just that little bit makes a difference. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.