Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snoz3
Reel Rookie

Not getting any motion or sound detection WITHOUT subscription

Jump to solution

Hi,

I haven't been getting any motion or sound detection, pictures, or anything since my free trial ended in December. I understand that videos and specific person, car, etc detection only comes with the subscription, but motion and sound detection is supposed to come without a subscription. It's been six months and I haven't gotten a single detection or photo. I've already power cycled them many times, all updated, and everything so please DON'T just tell me to do that. All my cameras (4) are Roku Indoor Smart Camera SE. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Not getting any motion or sound detection WITHOUT subscription

Jump to solution

Hi @Mslady912,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with your Roku Smart Home app since it will not give you notifications whenever motion is detected by your Roku camera. We're happy to help. Please follow these steps:

1. Confirm the Roku Smart Home app and Roku camera firmware are up-to-date.
  2. Confirm notifications are turned ON in the Roku camera settings.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Notifications
  3. Confirm Push notifications are ON.
    • Account > Notifications > Push Notifications
  4. Confirm that the Roku Smart Home app is allowed to send notifications to their device.
    • The user will have to check their Apple or Android app permissions.
  5. Confirm that detect motion and detect sound are turned ON in the Events Recording setting.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Event Recording
  6. Confirm that there are no event recording schedules.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Event Recording > Schedule > All Day should be toggled ON.
  7. Turn the detection sensitivity to 100.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Detection Zone
    • If the user begins to receive too many notifications, they can lower the sensitivity by 5–10 notches at a time until they receive the desired amount of events or notifications.
  8. Confirm if there aren’t any scheduled Rules that might affect notifications.
    1. Tap the [...] at the top of the Roku Smart Home app.
    2. Tap Edit Rules.
    3. It should bring up a list of any rules that the user has created.

If the problem still persists, you can try to remove the Roku Smart Home app and re-install it as well as rebooting your Smart Home device.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
RokuArvyS
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @snoz3
Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!
Smart detection gives you a better idea of what is happening in and around your home when motion is detected by identifying if it is caused by:

• Person: Learn when a trespasser is in your yard or see if your neighbor is stopping by to borrow another egg.
  • Pet: See if your dog needs to go outside or capture an elusive bird visiting your garden.
  • Vehicle: Find out when the pizza delivery guy pulls up or when your partner gets home after a busy day.
  • Package: Know the moment that special gift arrives or when your monthly wine shipment is delivered.

Without a subscription, you get notifications for all motion events, but with smart detection, you can pick and choose exactly what motion events to be notified about.

This article provides more details about this feature and teaches you how to use it to better control what notifications you receive and what events you record. How to use smart detection for your Roku Smart Home camera or video doorbell
Let us know how it goes so that we can assist you.

All the best,

Arvy

Marc
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
snoz3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

As previously stated in my original message, I quote "I haven't been getting any motion or sound detection, pictures, or anything."

I am not getting any motion detection at all. I have all notifications on and I'm not getting anything, and haven't been getting them for 6 months now.

I am not getting any motion or sound detection alerts, notifications, or images taken from motion detection.

I am not getting any motion alerts.

I am not receiving notifications for motion alerts.

All notifications are on and I've power cycled and updated each camera.

Unfortunately, your reply didn't really help me. I know what smart detection is and I've read through the FAQ already, no need to copy and paste.

Best!

Mslady912

Jump to solution

Same here. I have a subscription and some days I’m not getting notifications for persons or motion detection. It works for a while then stops. Please help! 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mslady912,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with your Roku Smart Home app since it will not give you notifications whenever motion is detected by your Roku camera. We're happy to help. Please follow these steps:

1. Confirm the Roku Smart Home app and Roku camera firmware are up-to-date.
  2. Confirm notifications are turned ON in the Roku camera settings.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Notifications
  3. Confirm Push notifications are ON.
    • Account > Notifications > Push Notifications
  4. Confirm that the Roku Smart Home app is allowed to send notifications to their device.
    • The user will have to check their Apple or Android app permissions.
  5. Confirm that detect motion and detect sound are turned ON in the Events Recording setting.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Event Recording
  6. Confirm that there are no event recording schedules.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Event Recording > Schedule > All Day should be toggled ON.
  7. Turn the detection sensitivity to 100.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Detection Zone
    • If the user begins to receive too many notifications, they can lower the sensitivity by 5–10 notches at a time until they receive the desired amount of events or notifications.
  8. Confirm if there aren’t any scheduled Rules that might affect notifications.
    1. Tap the [...] at the top of the Roku Smart Home app.
    2. Tap Edit Rules.
    3. It should bring up a list of any rules that the user has created.

If the problem still persists, you can try to remove the Roku Smart Home app and re-install it as well as rebooting your Smart Home device.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
snoz3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

John,

Not sure why I wasn't directly replied to as my question had still gone unanswered. However, following your instructions, I saw that the motion detection in Events Recording had been turned off by default. I am now receiving notifications, although I wish the solution had been posted sooner so I could've had notifications while I was on vacation.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ComradeTh0tsky
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am also having this problem. The day my free trial ended, all motion detection stopped. I got this app because my dog has epilepsy and it doesn’t alert me to anything. Not noise, nor movement. My notifications are on for everything. I have deleted and re-downloaded the app. I have updated firmware.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @ComradeTh0tsky,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with the Roku Home monitoring. Did you try the troubleshooting steps that have been provided above by @RokuJohnB? In addition, is your Roku home monitoring device inserted with an SD card?

If the problem persists, please keep us posted on what you find out!

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kerm

Jump to solution

Home was broken into Sunday and i cannot retrieve the motion detection shots to hand over to the local police can anyone help?

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community, @Kerm!

Thanks for reaching out, and we sincerely regret to hear about the situation you've been in. 

May we first know if you have a subscription through the Roku Smart Home app? If not, you can still check for the recorded live events under the Events category, but please be aware that it will be stored in pictures only. After it detects motions from your camera, it will take a picture of it, which can be seen under the Events category and will be stored for 14 days. Nevertheless, if you do have a subscription, you can check for the recorded live video events under the same category. You can also save the video through your phone. 

Please let us know if you have further clarifications regarding this matter. We'd be more than happy to continue doing so.

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.