Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahh

Wrong PIN can be used to download channels

Jump to solution

Hello! I have a PIN on my Roku set for downloads and purchases. My problem is that if you select a channel and put in the wrong PIN, it still downloads the channel, making the PIN completely useless. I have reset the PIN, as well as factory reset my Roku device, and it didn't change anything. What is the point of having a PIN if it doesn't do anything?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Parental control PIN doesn't work.

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for your patience regarding the Roku PIN code issue and for sharing your observation.

We believe this issue has been resolved. We would recommend seeing if you are still experiencing an issue and letting us know if the Roku PIN is still no longer working as intended.

Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing Roku.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Wrong PIN can be used to download channels

Jump to solution

Hi @Ongbanhto,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you need assistance with the Roku PIN code on your Roku device. We will do our best to assist you with your concern.

If you have forgotten your Roku PIN code, here are the steps to access and update it: 

1. Sign in to your Roku account
  2. Under PIN preference, select Update
  3. To set up a PIN, select Create a PIN
  4. To change an existing PIN, select Change PIN

Our FAQ provides additional information and complete steps on How to create, reset, find, or delete your PIN for your Roku account | Official Roku Support 

Please be advised that before updating your Roku PIN code, we suggest checking the Roku account email address directly to your Roku device if you recognized the email that is linked to the Roku device.

If you need further assistance with Roku Pay, account, and subscription inquiries, feel free to contact Roku support at https://support.roku.com/contactus

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

Best regards,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
43 REPLIES 43
Wagnera612

Re: Parental Controls NOT working

Jump to solution

Same here! I have a pin set up so that you cannot add channels without the pin. My son just found out tonight that he can put any combo of numbers in and it will accept it and download whatever he wants! 

Anyone know how to fix this?

Earth2Honey
Reel Rookie

Why isn’t my pin working?

Jump to solution

i have more than one roku linked to my account and I was able to set up a pin so my kids couldn’t download YouTube anymore. But unfortunately they’ve been able to enter any number combination to download YouTube. how can I fix this? 

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

Re: Why isn’t my pin working?

Jump to solution

Guessing but, have you checked your pin preferences? Is it set to:

Require a PIN to make purchases and add channels?

Earth2Honey
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yup I made sure that was the option I wanted because I hated seeing YouTube constantly downloaded.  

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Earth2HoneyOK then. Sorry but, i have no idea.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

When you say "download" are you referring to downloading the channel app and installing it to the Roku, or are you referring to downloading a selection to view from within the YouTube channel app?

The pin will prevent installing the app, but will have no effect on displaying a selection from within the app.

Also, even for installing, the pin only comes into play when attempting to install the app from within the Roku interface.  It doesn't prevent adding the channel to the Roku account from Roku's channel store web page.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
BGC

After setting a PIN through website, any pin still works to add a channel

Jump to solution

Very odd issue occurring with all 8 of our ROKU devices that was discovered by our sneaky teenager… We have always required a PIN when adding a new channel. Suddenly, while a PIN is still required, ANY 4 numbers typed in work. We try to reset the pin but still any 4 numbers work when typed in. Why is this happening?

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I just verified this myself.  @RokuDanny-R , someone should look into this.  I didn't try to make a purchase to see if it's also accepting any PIN entered.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @ahh,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thank you for reporting the issue with the Roku PIN code. Rest assured that we'll send this over to the Roku team for investigation. We'll get back to you once an update is available I'll be sure to update this Community thread

We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator