Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard1949
Reel Rookie

Why Credit Card is required in my Roku account

Jump to solution

I have been a ROKU customer for many years now and when I read these posts I have to wonder what the big deal is about having your CC on file with your ROKU account. They will never charge anything against your card unless you purchase something. I've purchased things like Premium Movie Channels to try and things like that and yes, they did charge my CC. Aside from that, they never have. So really, what's the big deal? It's actually a convenience to have that card on file because one day you'll see something you want to watch, like some movie, and all you'll have to do is click on it. ROKU will have you confirm the charge and that's it. Done. Sit back and enjoy your movie. Pay your credit card as usual. Really, it's worth it and there's no risk.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why Credit Card is required in my Roku account

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the question.

You will be prompted to link payment details to Roku Pay when you create a Roku account. This will allow you to purchase hardware and entertainment directly through your streaming device or account.

Updating your payment method will not result in charges to your account unless you have taken additional steps such as signing up for a subscription.

You will never be charged to create a Roku account. 

We recommend creating a PIN to guard against any unwanted charges. If you don't recognize a charge on your Roku account, learn what to do with an unknown charge.

You can update your payment information or remove it at any time.

Additionally, you must cancel your subscriptions before removing your payment method.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: Why is a payment method required when creating a Roku account? | Official Roku Support

We hope that's helpful, Happy Streaming!

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Credit Card Requirement I

Jump to solution

The "big deal" is that it is advertised as a no-fee tv box and then you (seemingly) can't even complete the initial set up without entering a valid credit card/paypal acct? Yes, you CAN bypass the card or paypal entry, as detailed here (and thank you!), but it is made to seem like there is no option of setting up/using the box without the card/paypal info. That is false advertising and it feels like coercion from Roku as the first experience with the company. I was quite angry that I couldn't even start the box up without having to enter my credit card?? How do I even know if I'm keeping the Roku box if I can't try it without divulging my credit card information? What if I just wanted to send it back to Amazon for a refund? What about all that information I just gave away to them? Just trust that no issue on my credit card will ever occur in the future? Naive. Companies do not invest money into actually secure databases. They don't suffer when you are hacked.

I don't want the hassle of worrying about getting my account hacked, my info compromised, and my credit card possibly being charged, even if I don't deal with the company any longer in the future. I don't distribute my card # willy nilly on the internet as there is no true security; the possibility of hacking is always lurking. And this has happened many times before with other companies - e.g. the dreaded 'fyi: your information has been hacked via our shoddy company's online database' letters, AFTER I had no dealings with the companies in question. To say there's 'no risk' is foolish. It just hasn't happened to you YET. (Companies sell your information as well. Look into it. That is why so many services are 'free.' They make the real money off your data.)

We purchased Roku boxes to cut ties with the cable tv companies and use free streaming services that are available, such as Tubi. If we have to provide a credit card to Roku, this is similar to a subscription service. There is always risk involved with providing a card number and the banks are starting to ask detailed questions about how you're distributing your card when there's a problem with unauthorized charges. In addition, there are posts online of people who have been charged for pay tv services on Roku without their knowledge or consent and Roku did not resolve the issue.

Finally, if you have children, this opens up a whole other level of vague worry as I wouldn't hand my children my credit card and I don't want even a small chance of them subscribing to a tv service by accident. I don't have time for any further annoyances in my life, especially from a tv box that was supposed to simplify my life. There are insufficient child control features on the Roku as it is and then to have to worry that some glitch will allow your children to pay for subscriptions is extremely irritating. There are rock solid child controls on our cable tv service which may force my hand in keeping the cable and only using the Roku with supervision (as if you tell your children to watch tv because you want to watch their every move?? Bad product).

Bottom line: this whole shake down of "give us your credit card or we won't activate the box you just paid money for" is poor form and leaves a bad taste in one's mouth towards the company overall. We also have pre-existing streaming subscriptions to things like Disney+ and wouldn't subscribe through Roku in any case. So I have no need to provide that information to Roku and it shouldn't be demanded.

peafif

Re: Credit Card Requirement

Jump to solution

This link doesn't seem to work for me.  When I click on it it just takes me to my account profile page.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I got an account creation page.  I’m guessing you were already logged in to roku.com when you tried the link?

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
peafif

Jump to solution

I was but even when I logged out, it made me create a login and go through the whole process again (using a different email address) and I ended with it asking for a cc again.  Not sure how to get around this

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@peafif, try clearing your browser cookies or using a private/incognito browser window.  It might just be easier to immediately remove the payment method after creating the account.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, is the goal to test the link or to get a payment method removed?  I assumed you were just testing the link.

I used the nocc link about 6 months ago, because my community account was banned (by mistake I think.)  However, I have added and removed payment methods (credit card and paypal) from my real Roku account several times over the years.  This was done without the nocc link - just adding and removing a payment method within the account.

Banned but back. Because why not?
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the question.

You will be prompted to link payment details to Roku Pay when you create a Roku account. This will allow you to purchase hardware and entertainment directly through your streaming device or account.

Updating your payment method will not result in charges to your account unless you have taken additional steps such as signing up for a subscription.

You will never be charged to create a Roku account. 

We recommend creating a PIN to guard against any unwanted charges. If you don't recognize a charge on your Roku account, learn what to do with an unknown charge.

You can update your payment information or remove it at any time.

Additionally, you must cancel your subscriptions before removing your payment method.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: Why is a payment method required when creating a Roku account? | Official Roku Support

We hope that's helpful, Happy Streaming!

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gabrysur

Jump to solution

Actually, a Ciber security expert was training police, and he said he doesn't even save his payment info on Amazon, every body could be haked! he puts the info for each purchase and immediately deletes the card from Amazon, so yes, it's a big deal. I should be able to decide if I trust you with my info or not, I don't trust anyone with that info, and I'm disgusted that I bought a TV but can't set it up until I find a Bypass for this. I'm not buying or recommending Roku to anyone, I was such a fan of the company.

Devingonzalez96
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

4111 1111 1111 1111111

0 Kudos