Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbarone39
Reel Rookie

Tic Tok upload to Roku Why does Roku want to charge me $1.99 a month to upload Tic Tok when I tried

Jump to solution

Why does Roku want to charge me $1.99 a month to upload Tic Tok when I tried to add Tic Tok to my TV? It's free everywhere else. Is there a way around this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Tic Tok upload to Roku Why does Roku want to charge me $1.99 a month to upload Tic Tok when I tr

Jump to solution

When I view that app in the Channel Store, it does state clearly "SERVICE MAY REQUIRE ADDITIONAL FEES". Those fees are not from Roku, they are from the TikTok app provider but might be billed through Roku depending on their agreement with Roku.

Why it would be free to use elsewhere but a fee is charged here? This is just a guess on my part, but I don't believe that channel is actually provided by TikTok themselves. Looking again at the Roku channel store, I see this information: Developed by: Kids TV Flix. If it was provided by TikTok themselves, it would say so here. So this is some other company that is providing a Roku app for TikTok, perhaps not with the permission of TikTok themselves. So they charge a fee to make their app work with TikTok. I've seen apps in the iTunes store that do the same thing for other providers, including Roku. They charge a fee for something that is available for free, simply because they can get away with it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Tic Tok upload to Roku Why does Roku want to charge me $1.99 a month to upload Tic Tok when I tr

Jump to solution

When I view that app in the Channel Store, it does state clearly "SERVICE MAY REQUIRE ADDITIONAL FEES". Those fees are not from Roku, they are from the TikTok app provider but might be billed through Roku depending on their agreement with Roku.

Why it would be free to use elsewhere but a fee is charged here? This is just a guess on my part, but I don't believe that channel is actually provided by TikTok themselves. Looking again at the Roku channel store, I see this information: Developed by: Kids TV Flix. If it was provided by TikTok themselves, it would say so here. So this is some other company that is providing a Roku app for TikTok, perhaps not with the permission of TikTok themselves. So they charge a fee to make their app work with TikTok. I've seen apps in the iTunes store that do the same thing for other providers, including Roku. They charge a fee for something that is available for free, simply because they can get away with it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
sbarone39
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you.

0 Kudos