Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: prime video is giving me a vpn error msg

Any provider telling you that it's a "setting in the Roku" is blowing you off. There is no such setting in any Roku device, and there is no way to install a VPN client in a Roku device. Any VPN would have to be based at your network router, and it's extremely unlikely you would be unaware of it. But ISPs can and do make your Internet presence appear somewhere other than where you are actually located. 

When I am using my work computer, either in the office or connected to the FAA network via a private VPN, my Internet presence is Oklahoma City, regardless of where I actually am. That is where our government network actually connects to the Internet, so that's where sites believe I am located. I see lots of advertisements for OKC based businesses, solely because of the location ID.

It's possible that Amazon (who knows your actual address) is seeing an ISP presence that doesn't match their expectation, and falsely throwing the VPN message. That's something that Amazon is going to have to work out. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
JerBeck
Channel Surfer

Yes, my ISP told me it was most likely Amazon as well. But they didn't dismiss me either. What you are saying about a VPN makes more sense now since I didn't know what they were exactly.  The fact that my ISP did something to make it work tells me it is an issue with them and Amazon.  It is all over my head, just glad what they did worked. Hope it helps someone else. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@JerBeck wrote:

Yes, my ISP told me it was most likely Amazon as well. But they didn't dismiss me either. What you are saying about a VPN makes more sense now since I didn't know what they were exactly.  The fact that my ISP did something to make it work tells me it is an issue with them and Amazon.  It is all over my head, just glad what they did worked. Hope it helps someone else. 

Its not uncommon for ISPs to have different blocks/ranges of IP addresses in their address pool - its very likely that they re-assigned your CPE to a different IP address/range, and this IP/range isnt identified as "VPN" by Amazon.

Unfortunately, some other customer of your ISP will be assigned you former IP, and suffer your former Prime fate...

JerBeck
Channel Surfer

Well, poo. At least if this happens again to me I can call ask for the same thing. I am still waiting for Amazon to get back with me and when they do I will see if this all makes sense to them and see if they too can do something so someone else who has Bolt Fiber Optic (my ISP) won't have this issue.  Bolt is such a small service here I can't imagine it being a huge problem. 

Thanks everyone who responded!

0 Kudos
CamD
Channel Surfer

Roku is **bleep**! No VPN allowed, no search engine. Go to an Amazon FireStick. **bleep** of a lot better. I have used both and there is no comparison. Hands down FireStick is number one device in North America. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Since VPN use is often tied to bypassing content provider restrictions, there's no legal reason for Roku to support their use. I understand the desire of some people for privacy, but for streaming providers it's a necessity. 

Dan

0 Kudos
CamD
Channel Surfer

Way to pass the buck Dan. Cut to the chase, VPNs are used for more than just by-passing Geo restricted channels and their copy righted programming, they are used for privacy. Perhaps this is why Amazon FireStick is North Americas top and best selling Streaming device. They allow for VPNs and also a search engine. 
Neither of which are available on the Roku device. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

I realize there are legitimate uses for a VPN. But because of the illegal use of them (which has caused legal problems for Roku in the past), Roku made the decision to not permit their use, nor discuss their use on their forum. I respect their decision on that. 

Dan

0 Kudos
CamD
Channel Surfer

I would love to know what legal issues you reference in the past the Roku has faced? If so, it can’t be from the programmers, as Google, Apple, Amazon Firestick, and TV manufactures would all have faced the same legal challenge. This again is why many are going away from Roku to the above mentioned devices. Roku won’t even allow a browser, and this is why they are last on the streaming list of devices being purchased. It’s a long fall to the bottom for Roku, but they are almost there. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

They were banned from a country (can't remember exactly where, somewhere in Latin America) because they were blamed for allowing content on their devices illegally. And there were lawsuits that they had to pay significant fines. It's another reason why they removed private channels from their devices as well, because they were being used contrary to the terms of agreement that channel providers must follow. 

I don't think there's any Roku "ban" on a browser. It's just that no one has bothered to attempt to build one, although I have seen one or two attempt one in the past. With a device that doesn't have any way to use a mouse or keyboard, an on-screen browser sucks. I've tried using the one built into one of my Samsung TVs, and it's a terrible experience. Add to that the Roku app programming language is different than what is used on other devices, no developer is going to make the effort to build an app that no one will bother using. 

Dan

0 Kudos