Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jstelly11b
Reel Rookie

Won't connect to hotel wifi

Jump to solution

I'm having trouble connecting to hotel wifi. I'll connect, verify that I'm using hotel wifi, connect to the Roku with my phone which will have me login to the hotel wifi. The problem is it keeps looping back to checking the connection and won't let me actually login. It's very frustrating and I'm seriously considering dropping Roku altogether.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Won't connect to hotel wifi

Jump to solution

If you don’t get the message on the screen asking if you’re in a hotel or dorm, there’s no way you can trigger it manually. The hotel has to block all access to the Internet for the Roku to believe it’s on a hotel network. If the basics get through, you’re stuck unfortunately. 

The way hotel/dorm mode works is it connects to the network but cannot reach the Internet, so it asked the question. You answer yes, and a screen appears with instructions to connect your phone or laptop to the Roku via WiFi. Each Roku has a specific WiFi name, so read the name on the screen, find it when browsing for WiFi on the phone or tablet, and connect with the password on the screen. The phone/laptop will then open a browser that allows you to authenticate to the hotel network. Once that’s done successfully, the Roku disconnects from your phone/laptop and reconnects to the hotel, this time with full access. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Greeting @Jstelly11b

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

It sounds like you are having trouble connecting your Roku device to Hotel's public network. Try restarting your Roku device and your phone to see if this resolves the issue. Often, a simple restart can help to clear up any connectivity issues.

If the issue still occurs, may we ask if have you activated your device before accessing the hotel & dorm mode? Or does your Roku device has been disconnected for an extended period of time before bringing it to your travel? Lastly, can you please provide us with your Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).

You will need to activate your device or manually check for a software update before using your device in hotel & dorm mode. If needed you can try activating or updating your device with an alternate network such as a mobile hotspot.

For more information about hotel & dorm mode, visit our Support page here: How do I use Hotel & Dorm Connect to connect to the internet?

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you from there.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Jstelly11b
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

None of that works, it seems more like a software issue with the Roku. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to connect after multiple tries, yesterday I gave up after 45 minutes.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jstelly11b

We're sorry to hear about that. 

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

We keep an eye on your response. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
SeanJay
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. I find i if i use my laptop and not my phone it works. it seems an issue with logging into the ROKU on a phone. it doesnt detect that there is now internet. but it does when i use a laptop.

atc98092

Jump to solution

I had no issues with the hotel WiFi at two different hotels last week. In the past I have had issues using my iPhone to complete the login, but either my iPad or Windows laptop always worked. Lately even the phone has been working fine. 

Dan

0 Kudos
walt541

Jump to solution

I also have the same issue it does not prompt me asking if I'm in a college or dorm or hotel  there is some setting I can enable and it say it will work in a dorm or college but it won't work I have model 3960x it's an Roku express

atc98092

Jump to solution

@walt541 unfortunately, there is no manual method to trigger the hotel mode. There's something in the way a hotel connection works (usually being able to connect but not reach the Internet) that triggers it. There has been many requests over the years to allow activating it manually, but nothing yet. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Tracy111
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

When using a laptop or phone to connect Roku to wifi, are you using the app or just logging into your account. The instructions from Roku are unclear. I bought this Roku device specifically to use at hotels but will return if it doesn’t connect.

0 Kudos
RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Tracy111,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We see you're having a problem connecting your Roku device to the internet in the hotel. However, connecting to a public network often requires signing in through a web browser.

Still, with Hotel and Dorm Connect, you can authenticate the connection for your Roku streaming device from your computer or smartphone. Just a quick reminder that streaming results may vary depending on the connection speed at the hotel, and channels and channel content may vary by country and may be limited or unavailable while traveling.

Refer to our support page for more information: How to use Hotel and Dorm Connect to connect to the internet.

Thanks,

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos