Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Won't connect to hotel wifi

Jump to solution

@Tracy111  you don’t use the app or your account in any way. You use the phone or laptop to connect to the Roku player and use it to do what is needed to connect, usually a web page. I’m traveling right now with my Roku stick connected to the hotel wifi. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Tracy111
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks Dan. How is the phone or laptop used to connect to the hotel wifi? 
Even though it said it was connected to wifi on the TV, I didn’t get a hotel option to connect to. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

If you don’t get the message on the screen asking if you’re in a hotel or dorm, there’s no way you can trigger it manually. The hotel has to block all access to the Internet for the Roku to believe it’s on a hotel network. If the basics get through, you’re stuck unfortunately. 

The way hotel/dorm mode works is it connects to the network but cannot reach the Internet, so it asked the question. You answer yes, and a screen appears with instructions to connect your phone or laptop to the Roku via WiFi. Each Roku has a specific WiFi name, so read the name on the screen, find it when browsing for WiFi on the phone or tablet, and connect with the password on the screen. The phone/laptop will then open a browser that allows you to authenticate to the hotel network. Once that’s done successfully, the Roku disconnects from your phone/laptop and reconnects to the hotel, this time with full access. 

Dan

Geronimo11P
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m another with the same issue. Seems ridiculous that Roku can’t fix a bug that’s been reported multiple times. Just another big company that refuses to take its customers seriously. Guess I’ll be switching to a fire stick.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Poor programming is not the same thing as a bug. There's no bug in the hotel/dorm function. It is poor programming that doesn't allow the user to enter the mode manually. 

Dan

Geronimo11P
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree with you on the poor programming. There should be a way to manually enter the hotel mode. But there is also a bug that causes the device to disconnect from the mobile device being used as a gateway prematurely, even when the prompt does work. A bug fix would help but reworking the user options would be even better. There is another thread dealing with this issue that goes back to April. It’s ridiculous that Roku had been ignoring this problem for so long.

0 Kudos
SeanJay
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I hotel hop that much and I’ve had so many issues with two different Rokus. I’ve given up and moved over to a fire stick. I find this much more reliable with the remote and getting logged into the WiFi. It’s a shame Roku haven’t resolved all the issues I see many still having. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Geronimo11P,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!
We'd like to take a closer look into this issue that you're experiencing. Are you getting any error messages or codes? What Roku device are you using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku stream bar, Roku TV-Specify) What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Geronimo11P
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku Express Software 12.5.0

When I try to connect to hotel WiFi through an external device, the Roku will prematurely disconnect from the phone and attempt to connect to the network. If I am already using the portal on my phone, then I am booted out of the portal and disconnected from the Roku’s WiFi network. Something is triggering the Roku to think that the connection process is complete prematurely. This does not happen at every hotel. Most work fine. Sometimes if I try to connect enough times, it will eventually work and other times I’m not able to connect at all. There needs to be a bug fix to stop the Roku from deactivating it’s Wifi network before the login process is complete. Ideally there would also be a way to manually trigger the hotel mode without relying on a prompt from the device. I have had times when the device fails to recognize that it is using Hotel wifi. No error codes come up, when these errors occur. The device either fails to connect or thinks that it is connected without actually having internet access.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Geronimo11P,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!
We will be more than happy to assist you further with this concern that you have. We suggest that you may need to reach out to the hotel lobby to allow their connections. Certain hotels' captive portal systems are partially blocking Roku devices, which in turn breaks their hotel and dorm connection functionality.

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, please let us know.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos