Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrDenis

Wifi connection very unreliable

Hi everyone 

So I use my Roku Express for travel, and I've been in the hotel for a few weeks now. At first I could connect to the hotel wifi no problem. Yesterday though, it started acting up: it says it's connected but none of the channels actually work. I tried to disconnect and reconnect many times, but I either get the same result (says it's connected but no internet), or I get error 014 once in a while, or I get to the part where I have to go through the hotel/form connection process. The problem with the latter is that it starts off normally, but then stops on its own as if it's connecting all of a sudden and the cycle repeats.

Ive tried to restart, reset network connections and even turn it off completely for a few hours. Always the same issue. 

Where it gets funky is I can connect to my cell phone on hotspot, BUT if I try my travel router, it connects, works for a few minutes then it disconnects and won't even see the 2.4 GHz SSID. Like it's there, I see it with all my other devices and it works, but the Roku refuses to even see it listed...

I really have no clue what's going on, but clearly there seems to be either two coincidentally happening issues or a larger, networks related issue.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Wifi connection very unreliable

Hello! @MrDenis,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us about the wifi issue with your Roku Express at the hotel. We're pleased to help.

When you see the "Error 014" message on your Roku device, it indicates a connectivity issue. This error occurs when the device is connected to a hotel network but does not have internet access.

Try the How to Fix Common Network Issues section tips to fix these connectivity errors.

You can connect your streaming device to a mobile hotspot as a temporary workaround to ensure that it is not experiencing an issue with your device.

If the issue is fixed using your mobile hotspot, please contact the internet provider or the hotel admin to confirm that you are able to have an internet connection using a mobile hotspot.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.