Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikeyz
Reel Rookie

Wi-fi connection issues, stuck in loop. error 014.40

Jump to solution

Hello having problems with the wifi connection. 

Have reset the router (infinity)

Have done a factory reset to Roku

Stuck in loop for entering password, password good, just won't accept it

Unplugged Roku for 10 minutes. Drops me right back into loop for entering password

Suggestions for getting past this

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Wi-fi connection issues, stuck in loop

Jump to solution

Hi, @Mikeyz 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and we'd be happy to help you connect to your network. The error code 014.40 is an indicator that is caused by an incorrect password for your network. Check that you have selected the correct network and have entered your password correctly. Please be reminded that passwords entered on Roku, especially with Wi-Fi passwords, are case-sensitive.

Additionally, if the issue persists, we recommend restarting your network modem/router. To restart your router, check the instructions from your ISP or router vendor or follow the steps below:

1. Unplug both your modem and router from power
  2. Wait 10 seconds and then plug them back in
  3. Wait for your modem and router to fully restart
  4. Use a phone, tablet, or computer to confirm the internet connection is working
  5. Test the connection on your Roku device
  • If the modem or router did not restart using this method, please reach out to your ISP or the manufacturer for information on how to restart your device

For more information, you can be guided here on What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Hope that this information provides a clear understanding and resolves the issue. Feel free to let us know if you have further concerns or inquiries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Mikeyz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Have error code 014.40

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Mikeyz 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and we'd be happy to help you connect to your network. The error code 014.40 is an indicator that is caused by an incorrect password for your network. Check that you have selected the correct network and have entered your password correctly. Please be reminded that passwords entered on Roku, especially with Wi-Fi passwords, are case-sensitive.

Additionally, if the issue persists, we recommend restarting your network modem/router. To restart your router, check the instructions from your ISP or router vendor or follow the steps below:

1. Unplug both your modem and router from power
  2. Wait 10 seconds and then plug them back in
  3. Wait for your modem and router to fully restart
  4. Use a phone, tablet, or computer to confirm the internet connection is working
  5. Test the connection on your Roku device
  • If the modem or router did not restart using this method, please reach out to your ISP or the manufacturer for information on how to restart your device

For more information, you can be guided here on What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Hope that this information provides a clear understanding and resolves the issue. Feel free to let us know if you have further concerns or inquiries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Mikeyz-

One possible cause of what you are experiencing:

ROKU LOCATES NETWORK AND REPORTS NETWORK QUALITY BUT CANNOT CONNECT
Some router updates have set the router's connection settings on the 2.4 GHz WiFi band from b/g/n to just g/n, causing Rokus connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band to lose their ability to connect to the network.  This has been reported for routers supplied by Comcast/xFinity, Cox, and AT&T, but there may be others.

Note that, of recent Roku models, non-4K Roku Express/Express+ (model numbers below 3940) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers below 4620) can ONLY receive the 2.4 GHz band and are therefore affected by this.

Affected users report the Roku identifies the local network as available and rates the connection quality, but will not then connect. The fix is to switch the router configuration protocols from the g/n wifi set by the update back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's configuration controls you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar for providing the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X