Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku using all my data up please help

Jump to solution

I’m sure someone asked questions about data but just needed a little more clarification.

1. My ? is this my internet is only an 1280gb and I was using my Roku and basically sucked all the data up. My question if I were to get something like tablo device with the Roku will the Roku use that data or will it go off of the tablo? 

my 2nd question is if I get a Amazon stick will that use a data from the Roku if I decide to reconnect the Roku? 

At the moment I have the Roku disconnected and paused and I just have an antenna connected with no internet connection. 

im wondering if you guys have any suggestions what I could use in place to help me without using a lot of data. 

if you can specifically put exactly the name of the device that I could use that doesn’t use a lot data with my Roku that would be awesome. I was planning on getting something like tablo but wanted to do the research first. 
tyia 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku using all my data up please help

Jump to solution

Hi, @phxcwgrl2002 

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand that your Roku device has consumed your data cap, and we're here to assist you in providing ways to save the consumed data of your Roku device. If your ISP has a bandwidth cap, you can use a feature called Bandwidth Saver to help avoid going over your monthly data limit by automatically halting streaming after four hours of inactivity on your Roku device.

If your device is streaming for four hours where no commands are received from your Roku remote or the mobile app, the Roku platform interprets this as inactivity on your Roku device. After those four hours, your Roku device will display a prompt asking you to confirm that you are still watching.

If you select Keep streaming, playback will continue uninterrupted. If you do nothing, playback will stop after a moment, your Roku device will exit the channel back to your Home screen, and data will no longer be downloaded over your internet connection. If you see the message on a channel you frequently use for more than four hours without using your Roku remote or the mobile app, you can select Don't ask again for this channel and the prompt will never again appear for that channel.

How to enable Bandwidth Saver

As described in the previous section, you can select Don't ask again for this channel to disable the prompt for the particular channel you are watching when the message appears. Alternatively, you can disable the prompt for all streaming channels using the instructions below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Bandwidth saver
  5. Choose On

Once this has been enabled, the bandwidth saver feature will ensure that you're within the data cap and will not exceed it.

Hope that you find this information useful, and feel free to let us know if you have further concerns or inquiries. 

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku using all my data up please help

Jump to solution

Hi, @phxcwgrl2002 

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand that your Roku device has consumed your data cap, and we're here to assist you in providing ways to save the consumed data of your Roku device. If your ISP has a bandwidth cap, you can use a feature called Bandwidth Saver to help avoid going over your monthly data limit by automatically halting streaming after four hours of inactivity on your Roku device.

If your device is streaming for four hours where no commands are received from your Roku remote or the mobile app, the Roku platform interprets this as inactivity on your Roku device. After those four hours, your Roku device will display a prompt asking you to confirm that you are still watching.

If you select Keep streaming, playback will continue uninterrupted. If you do nothing, playback will stop after a moment, your Roku device will exit the channel back to your Home screen, and data will no longer be downloaded over your internet connection. If you see the message on a channel you frequently use for more than four hours without using your Roku remote or the mobile app, you can select Don't ask again for this channel and the prompt will never again appear for that channel.

How to enable Bandwidth Saver

As described in the previous section, you can select Don't ask again for this channel to disable the prompt for the particular channel you are watching when the message appears. Alternatively, you can disable the prompt for all streaming channels using the instructions below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Bandwidth saver
  5. Choose On

Once this has been enabled, the bandwidth saver feature will ensure that you're within the data cap and will not exceed it.

Hope that you find this information useful, and feel free to let us know if you have further concerns or inquiries. 

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.