Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data10
Channel Surfer

Why are wireless speeds 10x slower on Roku players than on my phone?

I have Spectrum for Internet under their 500MBps Ultra plan connected around my house via a Google mesh wifi router-point setup.  Speed tests on my phone showing a speed of ~500Mbps if near ,my primary router and at least 150Mbps in all areas of my home.   I am typing this post on my laptop, which shows a >300Mbps, also near expected given distance from routers.

However, my Rokus don't show as fast speeds, as measured in the Settings -> Network -> Check connection menu.  I have 3 Roku Premiers (3920X).   The one that is located ~3 feet from my primary router shows 40Mbps, compared to 500Mbps on phone.  The other 2 that are connected from the mesh point show 15Mbps and 18Mbps.    If my phone is approximately the same location as the Roku, my phone consistently shows speeds of at least 10x faster than the Rokus.

One key difference between the slower Rokus and faster phone/laptop is the Roku Premiers only support the 2.4GHz band, so they cannot take advantage of dual band technology.   Is being limited to 2.4GHz expected to reduce speeds by a factor of 10x?  I realize one solution is to buy a newer model of Roku.   Is there anything else that can be done to improve speed on my existing setup?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Why are wireless speeds 10x slower on Roku players than on my phone?

@Data10

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you already tried changing the wireless channel on your router to see if that helps avoid any possible interference in your wireless network?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos