Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonal

Want to use Roku app on Roku tcl tv while it is connected to Ethernet

Hello, I am currently in college and have my Roku TCL TV connected to an ethernet port. I would like to use my app, but my phone is connected to Wi-Fi so when I try to do the manual connect, it doesn’t work. Does anyone have any solutions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Want to use Roku app on Roku tcl tv while it is connected to Ethernet

@jonal 

It is likely that some security protocols like "client isolation" are in place that prevents devices from interacting with each other on public/shared networks.

Unless your college whitelists your MAC address of your TV and your phone to allow them to interact with other (creating a network rule exception), you will probably be limited to using your physical remote with your tv.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@jonal-

Let me caveat that I have never done this myself so have no experience with it but ....

One thing you might be able to do is set up your own travel router and connect that to your dorm system, either by Ethernet or WiFi.   Then you connect your phone, your Roku, and any other devices to your own little private network where they WILL be able to "see" each other. .

Here are some at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=travel+router+for+hotel+wifi

[Edited to add...]

But a $10 Roku TV remote is cheaper, and in my estimation, easier. 
https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv-remote

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
AvsGunnar

👍 @makaiguy .

Yes, you can certainly add your own equipment like a travel router, an actual router, an access point, or turn a spare laptop into an ad-hoc hotspot that will allow all your devices to connect to (ie. all these methods allow you to create and connect to your own network rather than connecting devices to the public network individually).

All the above are legitimate ways to get around client isolation and the usual firewall settings found in public networks.

If you already have a laptop, you can try using the ad-hotspot capability of it. (will save you the purchase of additional equipment while using your public wifi as the data source for the "hotspot").  With this method, can still your use laptop while sharing the connection with other devices.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-your-windows-pc-as-a-mobile-hotspot-c89b0fad-72d5-41...

If the above works for you, then you can certainly look into additional equipment as suits your needs.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.