Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeBTN
Channel Surfer

T-Mobile 5GHz network not available?

Jump to solution

Roku Streaming Stick model 3810R doesn't see T-Mobile 5G Gateway (router) 5GHz network. T-Mobile won't or can't change DSF 2A, 2C.

The T-Mobile 2.4GHz network is crowded with other wifi signals, interference, 5GHz signal is strong with many channels available.

Any work around or different Roku device that doesn't have this DSF issue? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: T-Mobile 5GHz network not available?

Jump to solution

@MikeBTN 

The current firmware of the KVD21 Arcadyan seems to limit user to seperating the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, changing SSID (network) names and passwords.  Basically, very limited user configurability.

The only real way to see what wireless channel this router is choosing for your devices is from the device itself or to use a wifi analyzer app available in the Play/Apple stores that you can install on a mobile device. (plenty of free ones).  First need to verify if the router is actually using a DFS channel (52-140) that is the underlying culprit for the 3810 Streaming Stick not being able to connect on the 5ghz. (It is a normal indicator though. especially if able to connect to 2.4ghz band).

You can try adding another router after the KVD21 Arcadyan via ethernet cable and set the new router to "AP Mode" and then try to connect your Roku to this new AP on the 5ghz.  You can also buy a dedicated AP, but I usually find a router in AP mode to be a better buy. (basically, because it is a spare router.)  You could, also, of course, just purchase another compatible T-Mobile router (or switch out with your provider) like the predecessor Nokia models mentioned by @Strega that were more configurable.

There is the off chance that rebooting the KVD21 Arcadyan will also select a channel compatible with the 3810. (Seems that is what most Arcadyan users are limited to when having trouble connecting their devices.  Unplug for a couple of mins, cross your fingers, and plug back in.) Personally, I think either a new router or AP setup would be the more practical approach if needing the 5ghz band for your Roku devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@MikeBTN 

On the 5 GHz band, it must be a non-DFS channel. I think 49-148 are off limits to Roku. And the bandwidth must be 20 MHz. Check those settings. If they comply, then you should see the network.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MikeBTN
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks. Will contact T-Mobile to see if they can point/set their Gateway to a non-DFS channel. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This is just something I searched up, so I’m not sure if it applies ie: is your gateway a Nokia 5G21??  If not, searching with your model number should lead to better results.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/web-gateway-user-interface-gui-high-speed-internet-gateway#....

MikeBTN
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Strega,

The T-Mobile 5G Gateway is a KVD21 Arcadyan router. Neither the T-Mobile app or its web-based router admin menus (very limited) offers any options to change DSF or other typical advanced router settings.

I think the Roku doesn't get past the CAC and so never "sees" the T-Mobile 5GHz network to connect to the auto selected 5GHz channel...

Appealing to T-Mobile tech advisors to change my Gateway settings remotely has been unsuccessful.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@MikeBTN 

The current firmware of the KVD21 Arcadyan seems to limit user to seperating the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, changing SSID (network) names and passwords.  Basically, very limited user configurability.

The only real way to see what wireless channel this router is choosing for your devices is from the device itself or to use a wifi analyzer app available in the Play/Apple stores that you can install on a mobile device. (plenty of free ones).  First need to verify if the router is actually using a DFS channel (52-140) that is the underlying culprit for the 3810 Streaming Stick not being able to connect on the 5ghz. (It is a normal indicator though. especially if able to connect to 2.4ghz band).

You can try adding another router after the KVD21 Arcadyan via ethernet cable and set the new router to "AP Mode" and then try to connect your Roku to this new AP on the 5ghz.  You can also buy a dedicated AP, but I usually find a router in AP mode to be a better buy. (basically, because it is a spare router.)  You could, also, of course, just purchase another compatible T-Mobile router (or switch out with your provider) like the predecessor Nokia models mentioned by @Strega that were more configurable.

There is the off chance that rebooting the KVD21 Arcadyan will also select a channel compatible with the 3810. (Seems that is what most Arcadyan users are limited to when having trouble connecting their devices.  Unplug for a couple of mins, cross your fingers, and plug back in.) Personally, I think either a new router or AP setup would be the more practical approach if needing the 5ghz band for your Roku devices.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

MikeBTN
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks! Still have to evaluate whether the T-Mobile cell network is root cause before I condemn the 2.4GHz Gateway-Roku connection.

In 2+ yrs. I never had spooling with ATT-wireless router-Roku/TV.

0 Kudos
TonyOC
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am currently having the same problem. My three Roku sticks had been working great on the 5G but that went dark shortly after the T-Mobile engineers were working in my area. Hmmm!!? The Roku firmware was also updated around the same time. Hmmm!? All other connected electronics (phones, PC, tablet) can see the 5G network .I think the Roku engineers need to talk with the T-Mobile engineers to resolve this. I tried talking with T-Mobile support but they refused any assistance as the other items could see the 5G network and my Roku sticks were connecting to the 2.4G network so, according to them, there isn't a  problem. Except that now I'm getting some pixilation. Not a lot, but enough to be annoying.

0 Kudos
MikeBTN
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks AVGunnar! You nailed it! I got a $30 AP & set it up to broadcast the 5ghz network on channel 48 (deleted the 5ghz network on the T-MOBILE router). Roku is happy now! Rest of devices are happy on 2.4ghz network. T-Mobile internet is working as well as ATT fiber did.

Linda79765

Jump to solution

MikeBTN how do you do that?  Set it up to run on channel 48 ? I am not that tech savy..but have TMobile Internet and my Roku does not run with this...nor does Alexa or my ring doorbell :-(.  Not happy with TMobile internet, may take the little black box back and go with another company...

Thanks 
Linda

0 Kudos