Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pupheart

Streaming Stick 4K on Google TCL TV

After initially setting up the Roku device on the Google TCL TV using its own dedicated HDMI port for the streaming stick, I am experiencing continuous issues where the device just drops out from the HDMI connection after shutting the TV down.  I continually have to re-setup the remote then re-establish the account for the stick and allow it to update all the apps as if it were setting up the account for the first time.  It has gotten to the point where it is dropping me out of a program I am streaming.  The internet connection is excellent.  I run two other streaming sticks on the same network on different TVs with no issues whatsoever. 

After turning on my TV after a successful shut down from Roku, I toggle my TV input to the streaming stick HDMI and I get the screen to set up the remote.  This happens about 75% of the time.  Is it a faulty remote?  A faulty stick?  I've checked and re-checked my stick connections.   

What is going on? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Streaming Stick 4K on Google TCL TV

By any chance do you have the USB port plugged into the TV?  That can cause mayhem if the TV doesn't supply quite enough power.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming Stick 4K on Google TCL TV

If you are saying the Stick is performing a factory reset every time you power it off, I would vote for a defective Stick. I carry a Stick in my suitcase that might not be powered up for weeks or even months, and it's never done that. I have another player (Premiere 3920) that I power from the TV's USB port so it's powered off whenever the TV is off, and it too has never done that. 

But re-reading your post it seems it's just the remote that needs to be re-paired? I've never encountered that either, but it does seem to point to either the player or the remote. No real way to tell for certain from a user's point of view. You could use the Roku app on a phone to control the Roku after you turn the TV on, then go to the Settings/Remote menu and see if it still shows paired there. If it does, my finger would point at the remote being the failed device. If no paired remote is listed, then we're back to either one, although I would be more suspicious of the player in that case.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.