Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skinnerjltl
Reel Rookie

Roku works on one Tv but not another. Help!

My Roku is usually attached to my kitchen Tv. My living room has a appletv. I moved the roku to the living room to get a channel appletv doesn’t have. Everything worked fine. This morning I moved it back to the kitchen and it comes up but it isn’t connected to my wifi and remote won’t connect. I moved it back to living room and it works fine. Moved back to kitchen and won’t work again. It’s been in the kitchen for over a year working fine now it’s not. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Poterico2
Streaming Star

Re: Roku works on one Tv but not another. Help!

It is my understanding that one Roku device will only work on one TV. You have to buy a second device for it to work on a second TV..

0 Kudos
Skinnerjltl
Reel Rookie

I actually have 3 roku, a roku tv and a appletv. In the living room we use the appletv normally but there is 1 channel it doesn’t get yet so we move the kitchen roku in there to watch it and then move the kitchen roku back to the kitchen when done. This time when I moved it back it is not working right. It comes up like it’s ready to watch but it says not connected and the remote won’t pair to it. When I moved it back to the living room it worked fine then back to the kitchen and not working again. It worked fine in the kitchen yesterday before we moved it. I don’t understand what could be wrong. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

There must be some kind of interference occurring in the kitchen.  Why it's happening now is anyone's guess, but moving it mere inches can have an effect.  Microwave ovens will also interfere with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Anonq

Same issue for me. Works on newer tvs in house but older tv won’t work even if change to 720p. It won’t even respond to the remote and no solutions found anywhere yet. I doubt it’s interference. Samsung tv that only will run an older Roku or appletv…both are so old we can’t download new apps. But new Roku won’t work…only newer tvs. There were no hdmi settings to tweak either. I think we have to replace the tv.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Anonq, that's not the same issue.  I have a very old Samsung TV and very new Roku devices that work with no problem.  It sounds like your device is working on another TV, so what do you mean when you say the remote doesn't work?  What's the model number of the Roku device displayed under Settings->System->About or written on the device somewhere?  If it uses a USB cable for power are you using the TV's USB port (if it has one) or a USB power adapter plugged into the wall?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Lucy55

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@SkinnerjltlThe most common problem with connectivity issues is WiFi channel congestion which can vary from one place to another. The best way to resolve it is by using a network app like WiFi Analyzer for Android or something similar if you have an iPhone. Once installed, take your phone to the room where you're having difficulty and look to see how many others are on the same WiFi channel as you are. If you're able to log into your router, switch to a channel with less congestion. As to bands, 2.4 is slower but has greater range while 5 gHz is most popular. Roku remotes use WiFi direct and will only connect once the Roku player is successfully logged into a channel. Hope that helps

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos