Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku wont connect to at&t wifi after router and device factory reset

@coynem56 

What channel?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
coynem56
Channel Surfer

44161 using find the best channel

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@coynem56 

I'm assuming that's a setting that picks the "best channel" from 44 - 161. The issue with that is the DFS channels should not be used for Roku. Actually, at all in the USA in a home environment. Channels above 48 and below 149 should not be utilized. I don't know that it's using one of those, but neither do I know that it's not.

Regardless, it should connect on the 2.4 GHz band -- the Roku Express can only connect on 2.4 GHz -- if it can't find a good 5 GHz source.

Perhaps some others have some ideas. I'm leaning towards a non-Roku source still, with network being the first thing to rule out. And right now, we can't.

Interestingly, this is the second issue I've seen on the board today with connectivity issues after changing to AT&T. Not sure if that means anything, but it's sitting in the back of my mind.

Could be a

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@coynem56 

Sounds like a AT&T triband router so is using low band 44 and high band 161.  The RokuTV should be able to connect to both of those channels on the 5hz band.

Are you able to navigate through the RokuTV or are you still stuck in Setup due to the Factory Reset?  If stuck in setup, can you use a mobile hotspot to connect and complete setup?  If you are through setup, then can proceed to below.

If you navigate on your RokuTV to Settings/Network/About...

1. What is wireless channel showing?

2. Do you see an IP address? (yes/no or just all zeros 0.0.0.0)

3. Do you see Gateway address? (yes/no) and does it look identical to IP address above except for the last set of numbers (yes/no)

4. Are you seeing a Wireless Mac address (yes/no or are you seeing all zeros 00:00:00:00:00:00)

5. Are you using different SSID (network names) for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz band or the same SSID name?

6. If using seperate SSID, can you connect to the alternate band?

7. When you try to connect and fail, a box should pop up after the attempt.  On right hand side should be an error code 14.30, 14.40, 009, etc).

8.  Have you tried changing the password at the router?

9. Are you able to test/use an ethernet cable at your RokuTV?

10. What is router model number?

11. Are you able to connect your RokuTV to a mobile hotspot to check connection capability?

----

It is fine to provide the two IP addresses in the above questions since those are network LAN IP addresses and not your public IP address, but you can just answer yes/no if you are sure you are carefully looking at them for any differences.

EDITED... Have to ask - are you sure you are using the SSID passphrase/password, and not the password to your router? (you would be surprised...)

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

coynem56
Channel Surfer

I have changed the name of the 5GHz band and that is the only one that is showing up on my TV. I cannot connect to that one and the 2.4GHz band doesn't even show up on the network page.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@coynem56 wrote:

I have changed the name of the 5GHz band and that is the only one that is showing up on my TV. I cannot connect to that one and the 2.4GHz band doesn't even show up on the network page.

Odds are your 2.4 GHz radio in the router is using channel 12, 13 or 14. Roku devices will not work on those channels. Manually select Channel 1, 6 or 11, and chances are good you'll see that radio as well. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
coynem56
Channel Surfer

I just tried channels 1, 6, and 11 and the 2.4GHz band still didn't show up on my discovered wifi networks.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Well, then it's sounding like a hardware issue with your Roku. That's assuming other devices are seeing the 2.4 GHz SSID. Now if it's not visible by other devices, then there's an issue with your AT&T device. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Jeff-S

This is an old thread, but I just had the same issue, and was able to solve it.

The issue is the WPA3 authentication. Dropped it back to WPA2 and it's now working.

AvsGunnar

@Jeff-S 

The WPA3 will only be a consideration for those with AX (wifi6) routers.

If you still want to use WPA3 on your router, you can use a mixed-mode WPA2/WPA3 (Personal/AES) setting.

Both WPA2 devices and WPA3 devices should then both connect to router/network and use the appropriate protocol/standard as necessary.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.