Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaimesee
Reel Rookie

Roku Express not connecting to wifi November 2023

Jump to solution

Recently I changed my internet service provider and had high speed fibre optic internet installed (called Telus PureFibre; I'm located in Alberta, Canada). I have no idea if it is 5 or 2.5 GHz or neither or both (?).

My Roku Express worked perfectly for about a month after the switch, then one night, mid-program it stopped connecting to wifi. Since then, despite a LOT of troubleshooting, I'm still without my beloved Roku. Note, it's definitely a Roku thing, all my other devices with wifi connections have no issues.

The other postings I've read here are similar but most quite dated, and resulted in the person being contacted directly. So please, any assistance Roku can provide will be most appreciated. I'd really like to resolve this.

Kind thanks,

~Jaime

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express not connecting to wifi November 2023

Jump to solution

@jaimesee 

Some further things to look into and try...

1. When you made the password change, are you sure you made it to the SSID under the 2.4ghz band? (The Express 3930 cannot see/use the 5ghz band, so making any changes under the 5ghz settings won't help your issue.  Need to make sure you are changing/editing the 2.4ghz settings.

Also, make sure to restart both the modem/router and your Roku device after making changes to modem/router settings.

2. Try leaving the password field under the 2.4 ghz SSID empty (creates an open network).  See if Roku connects.

3.  If still getting 14.40 error with both the changed password and the empty password/open network, perform a Network Connection Reset on the Roku device. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).  Then try both #1 and #2 again.

4.  Under the Wireless Security Settings for the 2.4ghz band, try looking for something that says WPA2 or AES/PSK.  Verify that WPA2 is set and not WPA3.  If WPA3 is available, initially change it to WPA2 and then check to see if Roku can connect.  If successful, then can be changed to WPA2/WPA3 and see if still able to connect.  If set to WPA3-only, Roku devices will not connect. (not sure what kind of router you have, but Telus seems to provide Wifi6 routers so WPA3 likely in use on them).  

5. As @renojim also indicated, look for your Wireless Mode/Protocol under the 2.4ghz settings and verify that set to a default b/g/n.  (this will allow all speed protocols to be used and rule out this known culprit on some cable ISP networks.  Reportedly will throw both 14.30 and 14.40 errors).

6. If all the above fail to get you past the 14.40 error and connected, try connecting to a mobile hotspot if available.  If you can connect to the hotspot, then your Express 3930 hardware is working and there is a compatibility issue between your new Telus router/setup and the Roku device. (ie. likely conflict in one of the firmwares of either the router or the Roku device handling authentication).

-----

Feel free to provide an update after running through the above.  Include your router model number as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
renojim

Jump to solution

Start by giving us the model number of your Express (there have been many over the years) displayed under Settings->System->About.  It most likely only supports 2.4GHz Wi-Fi channels 1 to 11.  What happens when you go through the process of connecting to Wi-Fi?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jaimesee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Roku Express model #: 3930CA - Roku Express (software version 12.0.0 build 4184-AE)

When setting up wireless connection:
  1. I select my network
  2. I enter the password
  3. I hit connect
  4. Error code 014.40 results, every time.

I’ve checked, rechecked, and re-entered my password multiple times, and know that I’ve entered it correctly. 

I’ve also restarted the Roku player a number of times without different results.

Is this a matter of an outdated device?

Also - I replied by email a few days ago, should I only reply directly in the community post?
0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

That is indeed a 2.4GHz-only model (channels 1 to 11).  014.4 is supposedly a password problem.  Maybe try changing your Wi-Fi password temporarily to something simple just to see if it connects.  Some routers require the wireless mode to be set to b/g/n and not g/n, but I think you'd get a different error code if that was the case.  Still, it wouldn't hurt to try changing it.

The 3930 isn't really outdated.  It's not a "current" device, but it still receives updates and will get the 12.5 update.

You should get an email when someone replies in this thread (assuming you have the "Email me when someone replies" box checked), but you can't reply to it.  I'm not sure where a reply would end up, but it won't show up here.  When you get the email, reply here.

0 Kudos
jaimesee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried changing my wifi password but unfortunately I'm still unable to connect; still getting error code 014.4. 

Should I consider a different streaming device instead of the Express model? What would you suggest my next step be? I appreciate your help thus far. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

I'm at a loss.  @AvsGunnar , any ideas?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@jaimesee 

Some further things to look into and try...

1. When you made the password change, are you sure you made it to the SSID under the 2.4ghz band? (The Express 3930 cannot see/use the 5ghz band, so making any changes under the 5ghz settings won't help your issue.  Need to make sure you are changing/editing the 2.4ghz settings.

Also, make sure to restart both the modem/router and your Roku device after making changes to modem/router settings.

2. Try leaving the password field under the 2.4 ghz SSID empty (creates an open network).  See if Roku connects.

3.  If still getting 14.40 error with both the changed password and the empty password/open network, perform a Network Connection Reset on the Roku device. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).  Then try both #1 and #2 again.

4.  Under the Wireless Security Settings for the 2.4ghz band, try looking for something that says WPA2 or AES/PSK.  Verify that WPA2 is set and not WPA3.  If WPA3 is available, initially change it to WPA2 and then check to see if Roku can connect.  If successful, then can be changed to WPA2/WPA3 and see if still able to connect.  If set to WPA3-only, Roku devices will not connect. (not sure what kind of router you have, but Telus seems to provide Wifi6 routers so WPA3 likely in use on them).  

5. As @renojim also indicated, look for your Wireless Mode/Protocol under the 2.4ghz settings and verify that set to a default b/g/n.  (this will allow all speed protocols to be used and rule out this known culprit on some cable ISP networks.  Reportedly will throw both 14.30 and 14.40 errors).

6. If all the above fail to get you past the 14.40 error and connected, try connecting to a mobile hotspot if available.  If you can connect to the hotspot, then your Express 3930 hardware is working and there is a compatibility issue between your new Telus router/setup and the Roku device. (ie. likely conflict in one of the firmwares of either the router or the Roku device handling authentication).

-----

Feel free to provide an update after running through the above.  Include your router model number as well.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

jaimesee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

THANK YOU @renojim and @AvsGunnar! And especially thanks to Nick at Telus who helped me implement a solution.

Through your suggestions and Nick's technical expertise and assistance I was able to connect my Roku to the 2.4 ghz band of the network and I'm up and running.

Much gratitude for your help! 😁✌️

Abby12508

Jump to solution

How do you get to the correct band?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Abby12508, post the model number of your Roku device written on it or displayed under Settings->System->About, the name of your ISP (Internet service provider), and the make and model number of your router written on it.  That will give people here the best chance of being able to help.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.