Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DCollins
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku streaming stick Disconnects from Internet after saying it has connected to the internet

Jump to solution

Sure, Danny. Here's the issue .... I bought a new Roku Streaming Stick 4K because the Xfinity public hotspots are now broadcasting on 5ghz (802.11ac) so my old Roku could no longer connect. The specs on the new "stick" advertise that it is 802.11ac compatible (says so right on the box), so I bought it.  But it has the same problem and won't stream on the Xfinity public hotspots. 

Here is how to replicate the problem ... I can SEE the 5ghz networks on the Roku Streaming Stick 4K AND I can initially connect to them, but then the Roku disconnects when I launch an app (ANY app!). None of my streaming apps will play (i.e., Roku, Disney+, NetFlix, .... not any app!) On the other hand, the Roku Streaming Stick 4k connects fine to 2.4Ghz public hotspots but that's not why I bought it. Obviously, I can't change settings on routers I don't own (i.e. hotels, public hotspots). What is Roku offering to fix this issue so the Roku Streaming Stick 4k is truely compatible with 802.11ac as it is advertised? I'm not happy with this purchase. 😕

0 Kudos
Lolasmarie
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku streaming stick Disconnects from Internet after saying it has connected to the internet

Jump to solution

Same thing is happening to me! Help!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Lolasmarie

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lymitchel58
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m so sick of having to restart in the middle of watching a movie or show.  I’m going back to fire stick this is crazy.  It used to only disconnect when the tv went off now it’s just disconnecting while watching tv sad… not happy

Lolasmarie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It will disconnect from the wifi in the middle of a movie or show!! Its right next to my router. No reason. Then i have to restart the whole roku to reconnect even though i can see my network and it tells me theres no connection! I restart it and it reconnects fine… then will do it all over again 

0 Kudos
Lymitchel58
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yeah it’s crazy my friend I’m seriously over it.   I’m going back to fire stick 

0 Kudos
Lolasmarie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Agreed!! So frustrating!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @Lymitchel58 @Lolasmarie

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Lymitchel58
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello it’s powered in the wall…..I started using fire stick today so going to cancel my roku it’s been a blast but too frustrating.  

I like roku before all this started to happen.  Reading all the responses has convinced me that there will be no accountability on the company end and it has been doing this for about 2 to 3 weeks straight.  From the comments this has been going on since 2021 with no resolution   

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If restarting Roku did not help then restarting your modem will. This has happened 4 times with us and each time restarting the modem helped. The problem occured after a power outage which turned of our modem. ONce back on Roku would disconnect while our other devices worked fine. Restarting the modem again always solved it for us.

0 Kudos