Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Niccig101
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku streaming stick Disconnects from Internet after saying it has connected to the internet

Jump to solution

I’ve had this problem occur twice in the last month. I am dead in the water without any TV, streaming services because of this problem. It seems like my Rokus disconnect from my wifi after a wifi outage at my house. When everything comes back up, my Rokus stay disconnected and unable to connect at all even if it says my strength is excellent. What did fix it the first time this happened was changing my wifi password. Which was great for the first time. But then it happened again a couple weeks later. And I can tell you, im not going to change my password every couple weeks because of these products not connecting. I don’t know if it is because these devices are a little older and I need new versions or what. Roku support was also totally useless in help with this as they blamed it on my internet and internet speed. Disregarding the fact that I told them I spoke with my ISP before coming to them and that these devices have worked great for a few years and this is a new trend with them. I really want to stay with Roku but definitely don’t want to waste my time or money on doing this over and over. Fix this 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku streaming stick Disconnects from Internet after saying it has connected to the internet

Jump to solution

@Niccig101, try performing a "Network connection reset" under the Network settings of the Roku device instead of changing your password.  Also, if you have Comcast/Xfinity or Cox as your ISP ensure your wireless mode is set to b/g/n and not g/n if you're using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Niccig101
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! I actually had to read really deep but did find that answer you gave me earlier that helped. It’s just a real shame that ROKU SUPPORT has no clue about this and can’t assist. I was online with them for 40 mins and got absolutely nowhere. I’ve wasted so much energy with these things and all I had to do was change my 2.4 a bit? Sheesh. Thank you! 

0 Kudos
DCollins
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue. Bought a new Roku Streaming Stick 4K because the Xfinity public hotspots are now broadcasting on 5ghz (802.11ac) so my old Roku could no longer connect. The specs on the "stick" advertised it was 802.11ac compatible, so I bought it.  Is it really?? Problem is I can SEE the 5ghz networks and connect to them, but then the Roku disconnects when I launch an app and won't play any of my apps! The Roku Streaming Stick 4k connects fine to 2.4Ghz public hotspots but that's not why I bought it. Obviously, I can't change settings on routers I don't own (i.e. hotels). What is Roku offering to fix this issue so the Roku Streaming Stick 4k is truely compatible with 802.11ac as it was advertised? I'm not happy with this purchase. 😕 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@DCollins

Thanks for the post.

It's possible that the issue lies with the network or network connection itself. If you are still unable to resolve the issue and need further assistance, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This solution (Change wifi mode to b/g/n) works if your Roku is using the 2.4 GHz wifi.  If you have both 5 GHZ and 2.4 GHz then find out the model of your Roku and check which it uses.  I just went in and changed the network names of each wifi config and discovered that my Roku only detects the 2.4 GHz network so this solution worked like a charm.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

That’s why I got Firestick. I’ve had it for a year now with no issues what’s so ever. Every single Roku I had kept disconnecting from the internet every few minutes and showing in low definition. Sometimes I couldn’t even find my network!!  Even when all other devices in my home worked fine. I have one Roku left to throw in the trash before replacing with a Firestick. Bye Roku!! Good bye!! 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @Infamousiron

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience the issue has caused you.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Reeder818

Jump to solution

I’ve been having the same exact issue with my two devices. It’s been going on now for like three months. I have tried everything. Roku really needs to get their heads out of their asses real quick give us all back our money!!!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Reeder818

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator