Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blackstargazer
Reel Rookie

Roku + stick Will no longer connect

I have had this for a few years now and it worked great until recently. I don't get any error messages but it will no longer connect. I have reset my router and the device a few times, checked to make sure my TV is getting a signal -its a Phillips and it is. The roku will go the the home screen but I can't do anything else. I thought it could be the remote changed batteries and tried to resend but it doesn't show up either. (I was having an issue with it for months in that I couldn't use it to control the volume or use the power button, but everything else worked even the voice control. So now I dont know what is wrong because I can't use the remote because the roku home screen says not connect. Is ther anything more I can do or is my stick shot?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku + stick Will no longer connect

Some sticks like the 3810 and 3820 have the Wi-Fi module embedded in the USB cable.  If it goes bad (or it isn't being used), the remote won't work and it won't be able to connect to your network.  You can try pairing the remote the remote again.

How to set up your Roku® voice remote | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
SCRAPS
Streaming Star

@Blackstargazer I had the same issue some months back, so I know what you're going through and what you've gone through. I dealt with that for a couple of months before I finally replaced the USB receiver with a new USB Advanced Wireless Receiver. Haven't had any connection problems since.

Blackstargazer
Reel Rookie

Yeah I have tried multiple times to resync my remote and it will not. I was wondering if it was because the stick will not connect. I get the home screen and it switches to my screen saver but the remote will not do anything. The green light does go on and blinks but the remote still will not work. 

0 Kudos
Blackstargazer
Reel Rookie

To add to the above do you think I should try a new remote? I am thinking the reason it will not sync is because I can't get it to connect or does that not matter for the remote to work

0 Kudos
atc98092

Are you using the USB power cable that came with the Roku? If not, and you have a newer model Stick (you didn't say what model you have) you cannot get it to work without that specific cable. As @renojim mentioned, some Sticks has the powered WiFi antenna within the cable, and without that specific cable connected the remote will never connect and you can't connect to the WiFi network without a working remote. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Blackstargazer
Reel Rookie

Juat to be clear the home screen shows up but in the corner it says not connected

0 Kudos
atc98092

That's showing there's no network connection, which does indicate a problem with the WiFi. Either the antenna is missing because of using the wrong USB power cable, or some other possible hardware issue. But we need to confirm what model Roku Stick you have. Since your remote isn't working I realize you can't simply go to the About menu and look for it. But it should be printed on the Stick case somewhere. It might be difficult to see, as it might be printed with an ink color that is almost as dark as the case, but it should be there somewhere.

Dan

0 Kudos
Blackstargazer
Reel Rookie

Yes i am using the cables that came with the stick and I got the free extender. It has been working for 5 years and it started this not connecting last week. I think my remote might also be shot because the volume and power button didn't work for a long while. By the way my model is a 3810x

0 Kudos
atc98092

Great, the 3810 absolutely has the WiFi antenna in the USB cable. So we have that confirmed. The fact that your screen shows "not connected" points to a WiFi problem. Since the Stick has been connected to your network in the past, it should connect automatically when you start it up. I'm assuming you have not made any changes to your network (change in SSID or password). 

Since it didn't reconnect, that does seem to point to a problem at the Stick, not the remote. You did say the green light comes on and blinks. Does it blink when you press a button on the remote, or is it just randomly blinking? If it is only happening with a button press, then the odds of it being the remote does increase. But that doesn't explain why the Stick didn't reconnect to your network. I'd hate to suggest trying a new remote for $20-30 if it's not the remote and you can buy a brand new Stick 4K for $50 or the Express 4K+ for $40.

The 3810 is now a 5 year old device, so it's always possible there's simply a hardware failure here.

Dan

0 Kudos