Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pompey
Roku Guru

Roku Ultra 4802 Ethernet speed decrease

With all the app background updates happening in preparation for OS14, I noticed something strange with my Ultra. I have it wired to my gateway and usually use it on WiFi.  I usually run a connection test a few times each week; and just recently the speed results for Ethernet have dropped slightly.  In the past, the test reliably pegged at 93 Mbps, which is about the maximum throughput you will get with the 10/100 base port. Now I get results of between 69 and 75 Mbps. I never get back to my previous speed.

My WiFi speed results are the same; reliably pegging at 212 Mbps. I did some troubleshooting to see if I have a local problem.....  I swapped out the Ethernet cable, swapped ports on the gateway, checked gateway admin to make sure there were no changed port settings, or strange mac address issues.  Everything seems OK.  All my Ethernet cables are Cat 6, which should be fine for 10/100/1000 base.

I have not done any changes to my Roku; no new app installs or changes.  Nothing seems to have changed with my ISP service; my laptop with a USB-C gigabit Ethernet dongle reports the same range between 300-400 Mbps as always.

What would make my speed drop slightly, by about 20 Mbps?

Could these background updates have done something to the processing for the Ethernet port?

Could there be an app that has gone rogue and is loading down the Ethernet port?

Has anyone else experienced this?

"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
jontalk
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra 4802 Ethernet speed decrease

@PompeySpeed decrease aside, are you experiencing streaming issues? I ask since UHD content requires far less speed than you've stated here. I use a Power Line set adapter for the Roku, TV and AVR and get about 82 mbps even though the LAN speed is over 360, but its more than enough for 4K streaming.

The other thing to consider are how servers calculate speeds. Since you use WiFi have you installed WiFi Analyzer for Android or something similar for iPhone? As you may know, these apps are great for discovering channel congestion. I recently switched to the 2.4 gHz band which is far less congested and gets better throughput for this reason..Hope you find what you seek

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Pompey
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra 4802 Ethernet speed decrease

The streaming performance on Ethernet is fine at the reduced speed I am getting.  No buffering at all. I just find it strange that I would get the 93 Mbps result like clockwork; on my older 4660 as well. Now the slight dip.

I regularly use inSSIDer to monitor my environment .... I live in congested apartment world, after all.  I check to see if I should use static, rather than dynamic channel allocation.  I check the dBm of access points around me. I have almost all my devices hardwired, as a complement or alternative, in the face of possible WiFI issues.

"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.