Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwyson
Channel Surfer

Roku should include a gigabit Ethernet port

There are many reasons (present and future) to have a gigabit Ethernet port on the Roku. Just to mention a few: adding channels, updating channels and firmware updates. Not to mention future technology. I will not buy devices that have the old 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports. What does Roku save using this old technology? $1? Charge me an extra $1. I want gigabit ports on all my devices regardless.

43 REPLIES 43
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku should include a gigabit Ethernet port

Apple TV has it. You can get one of those. They work well.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Roku, will make a gigabit device when streaming across the internet requires a gigabit connection. 100mbs a second is plenty fast to stream 4k on multiple devices. 

jesseph

I completely agree. I can't believe that Roku still has a 10/100 FastE port in 2021. There are applications such as Plex streaming native 4K .mkv files that burst above 100Mbps.

I disconnected my hardwired Gigabit Ethernet cable from the Roku and reconnected it to a 802.11ac WiFi AP right next to the Roku. I turned on WiFi on the Roku in order to get connectivity above 100Mbps. A backwards approach to work around the RJ45 Ethernet Port deficiency but it works.

I agree with the Original Poster that i'll pay the extra $1 or $5 or whatever for GE.

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

You will not get over 100Mbps using WIFI either. Roku put a break or governor on WIFI speeds too. I am able to stream everything on my 3 Roku TVs, buffer free even with Roku's WIFI brake when I stream across the internet. No local streaming for myself fortunately. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The reality is that very few people use a Roku for local streaming. It's not worth the extra production costs that would need to be passed on to everybody for the 1% or less that would actually use more than 100Mbit.

0 Kudos
tkuraku
Reel Rookie

I have a roku ultra and streambar. I'm pretty happy with them, but is pretty ridiculous that in 2022 there isn't an option for gigabit Ethernet. Wired connection is just more consistent and faster. If that doesn't change I will buy a different brand next time.

andyross
Roku Guru

What's wrong with standard 100Mbit? Unless you are streaming raw 4K from a network server, it's more than enough. 

0 Kudos
tkuraku
Reel Rookie

that's exactly it I want to be able to stream local content. Most of the time 100 Mbit should be enough, but it seems silly to limit it when gigabit is pretty much ubiquitous otherwise.

andyross
Roku Guru

The reality is that few people stream locally. Plus, if you want high bitrate video, you should be using higher-end videophile equipment, not consumer-level equipment.

0 Kudos