Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jldavis81

Re: Roku keep losing connection

Jump to solution

This is not my first Roku, I have four others that work.

0 Kudos
JohnC13
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have two Roku Express 4K+ devices that I bought in July of this year. One works fine; the other has begun showing the problem of hanging, as is described in this thread:

- On the problematic Roku, I get as far as selecting a program on a streaming service and it hangs. This happens with all streaming services.  I have to recycle power on the Roku 4 or 5 times to get it to work.

- The two Roku's are on opposite sides of a wall in different rooms. They are the same distance from the router. It's not an issue with wireless connectivity

- The problem with the Roku hanging occurs whether it's plugged into the TV or the wall for power

- Both of my Roku's have software version 12.5.0 build 4178, updated 10/27/2023

- The device that is having issues is s/n X02200PDMHA6, Device ID S0HAK31DMHA6

- The device that hasn't seen issues, so far, is s/n X02200J1CSHW, Device ID S0HAK311CSHW

Please advise as to what steps can be done to resolve this issue and prevent it from happening to the Roku I have that's still working.

Thanks, John

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community Users,

We appreciate you posting here in the Roku Community!

We'd like to know more about the issue that you are experiencing with losing connection so we can assist you better. Please provide us with more details.

• When did this issue occur?
  • What error message or code are you getting after trying to connect to your network? (after putting in the network credentials)
  • How far is your device from your network router?
  • Have you restarted your modem and router?
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

In the meantime, please check on how to check the connection to your home network and the internet.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JohnC13
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I will answer for my case:

• When did this issue occur? -  It started happening about 3 weeks ago and has been getting worse. Every time I try to use this particular Roku box, I have to power it on/off to get it to work.
  • What error message or code are you getting after trying to connect to your network? (after putting in the network credentials) - There is no error message or code. Once I select a program or movie, it hangs.
  • How far is your device from your network router? - My device is less than 15 feet (5 meters) from my router
  • Have you restarted your modem and router? Yes, but that did not help. Note that none of my other devices on my network are experiencing any issues, including another Roku device, of the same model
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot? No. Besides, in my case, my other Roku device is on the opposite side of the wall (less than a couple of feet away) and works perfectly, so it's not the network.

This thread goes back for a few months with people reporting the same issue over and over. What can be done to troubleshoot the problematic Roku device, given that other devices on the same network are working fine (i.e. it's not the network)? Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for the update, @JohnC13.

We appreciate all the information you have provided. No worries; we have forwarded these details to the appropriate team for review and investigation. Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated as our team looks into this issue.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JohnC13
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, Janadee, for your input.

It's interesting that this issue has been marked Resolved since July, but clearly people on this thread have been seeing this issue? Can you describe what progress has been made to fix the issue(s)?

As another test, this morning I tried to stream the same program to each of my 2 TVs.

The TV which has the Roku device which has had no problem immediately started playing the the program just fine.

The other TV, which has the Roku that hangs, required me to recycle power on the Roku 4 times before the Roku box worked and the program that I wanted to watch played. When I recycled power, I turned off the TV, unplugged the Roku box, and waited about 10 seconds before plugging them back in and trying again.

I noticed that the Roku hung at different places, once at the menu showing the different services (e.g. Amazon Prime, You Tube TV...), once I was able to select a service, in my case You Tube TV, in other cases, further down the line of selecting which content to play, but content never played, and, there was Never any sound. When it's working, I'll hear a chord played, when it's not, there's no chord.

HTH