Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku immediately disconnects from internet

I own a Roku Ultra 4800x, and I have it connected through ethernet and it's also able to connect over wifi. If I connect to either it recognizes and connects with no problem, but immediately after connecting, when I go back to the home page it says that it's not connected to a network. This has been an issue with my Roku for at least a few months now, but when selecting a streaming app it would give me an option to proceed anyway, and after selecting that they seemed to work fine. But within the past few days nothing seems to work, and I've been trying to solve this problem for days now.

I have no issues connecting to my wifi with my other devices, and I've restarted my roku and router countless times. I've reset my network connection. I've even factory reset my roku. I figured that my roku box must have an internal issue and bought a new Roku Ultra and set it up, but it had the exact same issue, so I don't know what else to try? I've spent a lot of time on the phone with my internet service provider trying to troubleshoot this to no avail. 

9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku immediately disconnects from internet

Is there anything about your network setup that we should know about like you're using a VPN or an ad-blocking service?  If not, do you have access to your router settings?  If so, try changing the DNS server, especially if it's set to your ISP's.  You can research DNS servers but 8.8.8.8 is one that's often suggested.

Another thing to try to verify whether or not it's something with your network is to connect to your phone's hotspot, if possible.  If you don't have any issues when connected to your hotspot then that's a good indication that it's something about your network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jesikka_nicole,

Welcome and thanks for sharing your report here in the Roku Community!

I'd like to drop some information about this via DM and thanks for the initial step @renojim.

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Samson620

The Roku on my Samsung TV ONLY suddenly said that I was not connected to the internet! This is not true. My LG TVs are connected with the same internet router without any problem. I am able to view Vicki and anything else on the internet that I subscribe to with my other TVs!!. The problem is not with my internet. Please tell me how this problem can be solved. I followed all the instructions given to me on the  TV to no avail!!

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Samson620,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you sharing your report about this and sorry for the trouble.

Could you share with us the serial number of the Roku device you're having an issue with? We'd like to take a closer look.

In addition, have you checked for any recent updates or firmware changes on your Roku device?

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
fedupwiththis
Channel Surfer

This is happening with my Roku TV as well. It's not the internet connection as you well know. Is there anything WE should know about why your service has just totally crashed ?

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @fedupwiththis,

We appreciate you sharing your post,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the problem you're facing with the connectivity of your Roku TV. We are happy to offer our assistance and help resolve the issue.

• Do you have a Roku Branded TV or a Roku TV?
  • Is this the first time you set up this Roku TV?
  • How are you trying to connect to your network, is it via wired or wireless connection?
  • Are your other devices able to connect to the network without any issues or latency?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue?

Your Roku streaming player or Roku TV system provides you with access to stream audio and video from the internet. For this to work, your Roku device must maintain a good connection to your network and the internet. You can check the quality of this connection from the Settings menu on your Roku device at any time.

Use the following steps to check your network connection.

1. Press Home  on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Check connection

Your device will check available networks, network connection, and internet connection. A green check mark will appear to the left of each successful one. When the test is complete you will see a pop-up with the connection results.

Please keep us updated on your progress, and we'll be happy to continue assisting you. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Scullly37

Same exact issue, same exact nonsense replies from " support ". They're even telling me to change my router configuration! My other roku works fine. My other devices,all good. Their product is the problem but the just keep telling you to do everything short of stand on one foot, touch your nose and sing Happy Birthday to get it to work!

0 Kudos
Dlm1107
Reel Rookie

I had this issue for a few months then one day it was fixed… now it is happening again. My Roku tv will connect to my spectrum community wifi for all of 10 seconds and then lose connection. I am not connecting to my mobile hotspot. Please fix this issue.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dlm1107,

Thanks for keeping the Roku Community posted!

We're sorry for the inconvenience about this and we appreciate you for reaching out about the network connectivity issue with your Roku TV.

I've dropped you a PM about this and for further assistance.

Thanks,
Rey 

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos