Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Harthansen
Channel Surfer

Roku constantly disconnects

There are posts like this but no answers that work. I spent hours trying them all. (Except the guy who just replaced his rokus with fire sticks). This is my last ditch effort before i do the same.

My roku once a day disconnects from the internet all i can do to reconnect is restart the roku, which works everytime. My router is 5 feet from the roku. My father (at my suggestion) also has a roku that does this. We don’t live together. His roku is 3moths old. Mine is 1 year. It has been doing this as long as i can remember. I have internet with comcast no other device has any problem connecting. 

There are posts complaining about this same problem that go back years. How have you guys not fixed this yet? How are you still in business? I like the roku interface better then the fire stick but I'm

about to take these rokus out back and use them for target practice and never use a roku again!

image.jpg

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku constantly disconnects

Hello @Harthansen

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to?
- The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect?
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected?
- How long have you been experiencing this problem? - Are you being prompted with an error message?

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: How to connect your Roku streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet 

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Harthansen
Channel Surfer

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to?
- The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.
Idk thats so confusing how can you sell something that doesn’t work with all routers? I have the same router all comcast users have so if it doesn’t work with that you’ve got a problem!

- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect?

YES
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected?

ITS 5feet from the router

- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

since i bought it

- Are you being prompted with an error message?

just that it can’t connect but then as soon as i restart it. Its fine everytime. At least for a day

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Harthansen 

Thanks for following up. 

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Harthansen
Channel Surfer

Was powered through the tv ofc because it’s alot easier and convenient. Had to find an extension cord and now it looks horrible but I’ll give it a try.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Harthansen 

Thanks for quick response. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Kindly, try to plug directly to a wall outlet and see if there's any difference after. 

We'll keep an eye on your update. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Harthansen-

If your Roku has a "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" setting, try disabling it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Harthansen
Channel Surfer

So this didn’t fix the problem. Still loses connection frequently. I finally checked my router and it has both 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz

0 Kudos
Harthansen
Channel Surfer

I don’t have the power saving setting activated 

0 Kudos
Harthansen
Channel Surfer

It seems like it doesn’t work more often now if that’s possible 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.