Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FredZiffel97
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra- Wired Connection - Error Code 012 Not Connected

Hi Chel -

Yes they now only work with Wi-Fi but a tad slower than Wired and now I have occasional drop outs - lost connections.

ISP is AT&T.
At one time I experimented with Fing but that was removed.
AT&T's Smart Home Manager is used. That has been checked and rechecked no "blocking" is utilized.
Looking at the Router's info via 192.168... you can see that the the "Wired" connections are "off" and the "Wireless" 5Ghz connections are "on".

VPN is used but "Not" at the router level, it is only employed on individual pcs - Roku's are not on/behind the VPN. (Router is not capable of having a vpn installed on it.) One Roku is a direct ethernet cable to the Router and the other is connected through a network switch. The ethernet cable(s) to the Roku devices work w/o any issues when the cable(s) is unplug from the streaming device (device removed) and connected directly to the smart tv. 

All content blockers are on the individual pc's browser and "Not" associated with the streaming devices.
0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @FredZiffel97,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Please note that a few recent network connection problems have been reported that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T). However, they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK BUT CAN NOT CONNECT
      Some router updates have changed the router's security setting from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n security.

• ROKU CAN NOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
      Some routers (reported from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others) have had their 2.4 GHz WiFi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single-band WiFi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models), and many other single-band devices, can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If this problem was not caused by a router update deactivating the 2.4 GHz band, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > Restart) will allow the connection to be re-established.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but have no access to its settings, you may request your internet provider to make the changes.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FredZiffel97
Binge Watcher

I have tracked it down to the system update installed on April 27, 2024. This update disabled the Wired option of connecting my two Roku Ultras to the internet...

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the additional information, @FredZiffel97!

Error codes 012 and 013 are caused by Ethernet cable issues.

Try the following tips to fix Ethernet cable errors on your Roku streaming device:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from your streaming device and router, and then plug it back in.
  • Try a different Ethernet cable.
  • Switch to a Wi-Fi connection instead.

If the problem still persists, may we know what the current software version of your Roku device is by going to settings, system, and about?

We hope this helps, and please keep us posted on what you find out.

Regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FredZiffel97
Binge Watcher

Hi John -

Please read all the previous comments on this subject (I am not being sarcastic nor angry, just frustrated with Roku.). I went on vacation in mid April to return to 2 Roku Ultras flashing lights that would/could not connect to a "Wired" configuration. They will connect through a "Wireless" connection but that is not what I want/need on my intranet.

I have replaced the cables at least 4 times maybe more (I have lost count): once with a used Cat5e; once with a new Cat6 ; once with a new Cat5e right out of the sealed bag from a vendor; and once with a new Cat6 right out of the sealed bag from a vendor. All cables pass a cable test with test equipment before being used.

I also spent several hours with the ISP (AT&T) hoping they had changed something and testing different scenarios to include the cable swap-out also. Every internet ready device that is connected to the cable(s) ends where the Roku's fail ALL will immediately sense and connect to the internet,

I am not your average streamer whining about a poor connection or the devices' inability to connect as advertised. I have 35 years experience in electronics, proprietary computer configurations, system design/test, and software design/test but this scenario is typical with one vendor pointing at another vendor saying it is their issue. Someone "messed up" here and is not taking ownership.

Any and all help you can give me is greatly appreciated!

Current system : 12.5.5  build 4174-C2  installed 4/27/24 0738
0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @FredZiffel97,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have gone through. And we express our gratitude for your effort in resolving the issue!

Please note that we have passed your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. Once more information is available, we'll be sure to post an update on this thread.

We'll also contact you privately here in the Community to gather more details. Please keep an eye on your inbox; we'll be in touch soon!

Your assistance is much appreciated so we can resolve the issue as soon as possible.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FredZiffel97
Binge Watcher

Contacted by them and they suggested I try another router and ISP. Did that and reported back to them to have them totally ignore the email that stated the same results with no Wired connectivity.

I have also researched this issue on the internet and it is a common problem I am not the only person with this issue. What has happened to Roku? Why can't someone take ownership and say the devices failed or we pushed out a firmware/software update that is not compatible with your Roku Ultras and be honest about it.

How about offering the older updates and let us install them?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.