Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data10
Channel Surfer

Roku Premier Keeps Choosing the Wrong Wifi Mesh Point

I have a multiple Roku Premiers, which is an older model than only accepts 2.4GHz.   I recently upgraded to a Google Wifi Mesh network with a router and 2 points.    From the perspective of my Roku Premiers, the router and points all have the same network name, so I can't force the Roku to choose a particular point from my mesh network. Instead I need to rely on the Roku to choose the best (closest) point that has the strongest signal.   

Unfortunately, the Rokus often do not choose the close mesh point and will instead choose one that is much further away and on a different floor, which leads to slow speeds and buffering.  After rebooting the Roku, it often switches to the nearest point, but not always.   Today I finally gave up, and  downgraded my Wifi network to a router and single point at opposite sides of the house, which has worked so far.   While Roku may choose the wrong point, it doesn't choose one on the other side of the house.

There must be a better way.   Is there any way to force Roku to choose a particular Google Wifi mesh point, rather than just hope for the best?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premier Keeps Choosing the Wrong Wifi Mesh Point

@Data10 

The only real way to force a preferred access point is to either assign reserved addresses (LAN IP numbers/addresses) of the Roku devices to the preferred access point (basically whitelisting and blacklisting connections) or to configure by band. (seperate by 2.4ghz and 5ghz - you can't do this because they all require the same 2.4ghz).

Of all the different steps to take regarding the Google mesh system, most people find that simply restarting the connecting device (the Roku device) is the most successful. (just as you are doing).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Data10
Channel Surfer

I mentioned that I had downgraded to a single point with hope that Roku wouldn't choose the wrong point, if the only other option was a weak signal on the under side of the house.  Unfortunately this hasn't been successful.   Roku is choosing the point with a weak signal over the router located 5 feet away with a strong signal.  I found a ~20 year old Belkin router than I connected to by Google wifi router via cable, so now I can have Roku connect to the Belkin, which gives the Google Wifi router a unique name that differs from the point.  This seems to work okay so far for the Google Wiifi router, but Roku's connecting to the point may still choose the wrong Google mesh.

I'd like to explore the assign reserved address that AvsGunnar mentioned.   Is this supported for Google Nest Wifi?   The configuration options seem quite limited, compared to any other router I have used.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Data10 

With the Google Mesh systems (Nest), you can't do the above.  The points are really just "extenders". (no seperate configurations). The router also can't be configured for address reservations or even selecting wireless channels.  (These are really just plug and play and just about everything is automatically managed by the firmware).

You really are left with just playing around with the locations of the router, the points/extenders, and the Roku devices themselves.  Maybe move the point that keeps connecting closer to the Roku device, and vice versa with the point that doesn't like to connect.  Try moving them a few feet further away from the device. (can't discount that interference from being too close is causing adverse behavior).  Close proximity of equipment  sometimes actually creates connection and stability issues due to amplified interference. (depends on equipment being used and other factors in environment).

Some of the problem is with all this automation/automatic management.  The router is continually scanning and changing channels to avoid crowding/interference, so what may be a good connection one moment, may change to a bad connection the next.  This likely leads to an unpredictable 50/50 chance of which point a device will prefer to connect to.  Might even have to resort to unplugging a point, let the Roku connect to the only one broadcasting, and then plug the other one and hope the Roku device does not decide to switch to the other one.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos