Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User000999

Roku “Linking Error” on Roku 3 after Recovery Mode factory reset

Jump to solution

My Roku streaming stick, which just surpassed one year from date of purchase, Stopped working two weeks ago. I see the recovery mode screen (need to reinstall the operating system) and I’m unable to get past it because the remote isn’t working. 

Also, In the last week, my two Roku 3 devices Received the same recovery mode error. I was able to use my remote on those devices, but I had to do a factory reset. I am able to update my wired Internet connection, but once that happens and the software tries to download the update, I receive a “Linking Error.” The linking error reads “There was a problem connecting to the network. (ActionID: 0 err: 0:0) Please try again again. Press the OK button to reconnect.” 

I can’t get past the screen and feel very confident that this is not an Internet connection problem. (when my first Roku three stopped working In the living room, I moved the one from the bedroom to the living room and it worked fine for a few days before it went into recovery mode).

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku “Linking Error” on Roku 3 after Recovery Mode factory reset

Jump to solution

Hi, @Leverus 

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you have encountered with your Wired network connection, and we appreciate you for taking the time and effort to troubleshoot your Roku device in an attempt to resolve the issue. With this matter at hand, we would recommend connecting your Roku device with a different ethernet port to see if you're able to notice a difference.

Additionally, you can try to connect your Roku device wirelessly to see if you encounter no issues with this connection set-up. Ensure that you connect to a 2.4GHz bandwidth since that's the compatible network connection that Roku 3s connect.

We hope this helps, and let us know if you have further concerns or inquries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

Leverus
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Kash,

I connected on the 2.4 GHz channel and everything worked out perfect.

THANK YOU!!!

Best,

Leverus

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @User000999,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for raising this concern directly to us!

We understand you are having a problem with the Roku devices since you are seeing a recovery mode error. We're happy to assist you further. Please try to restart your router, even if other devices on the network are not having problems. When your router has completed its startup, try repeating your Roku setup. 

If you are using the TV's USB port to power your Roku, consider using a USB power adapter to power it from the home power source. Certain TV USB ports are insufficient to consistently power a Roku. If you don't have a Roku adapter on hand or if your Roku didn't come with one, any old USB power adapter from another device should work as long as it states in the fine print that it produces at least vac at a minimum of 1 amp.

Try using a different WiFi network to do the update - perhaps via a WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone or by taking it to a friend's house - and see if it will complete the startup. If successful, then redo the WiFi connection to use your intended WiFi network via Settings > Network > Set up connection. 

Hope you'll find this useful. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ytnok
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just tried all of these and nothing worked.  I have the same problem, same message, though my problem started randomly when my TCL Roku TV suddenly did a factory reset while I was exiting a streaming channel.

0 Kudos
Leverus
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I too have exactly the same issue, that started at a random time about a week ago.

The unit is powered by the Roku power adapter, and I am plugged direct into my DSL modem with a short ethernet cable.  In the setup process, the Roku states that it has a wired connection, goes to download the software, then after a while shows the exact same linking error as User000999 stated.

I did a power-down/restart on the DSL modem, and did a factory reset on the Roku.  Still always the same issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Leverus 

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you have encountered with your Wired network connection, and we appreciate you for taking the time and effort to troubleshoot your Roku device in an attempt to resolve the issue. With this matter at hand, we would recommend connecting your Roku device with a different ethernet port to see if you're able to notice a difference.

Additionally, you can try to connect your Roku device wirelessly to see if you encounter no issues with this connection set-up. Ensure that you connect to a 2.4GHz bandwidth since that's the compatible network connection that Roku 3s connect.

We hope this helps, and let us know if you have further concerns or inquries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Leverus
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Kash,

I connected on the 2.4 GHz channel and everything worked out perfect.

THANK YOU!!!

Best,

Leverus

0 Kudos